still learning, weighing??

Options
Can someone tell me if I am suppose to weigh my meat before I cook it or afterwards? I am still learning all this stuff but wabt to be accurate :-)

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    before
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Raw.
  • jeannierenee85
    Options
    Okay thank you thats what i been doing so far to be safe but wanted to ask to double check
  • jeannierenee85
    Options
    So if you have chicke. breast that was already cooked out for the family left over how would weigh it out or could you?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to make do, because you'll be in a situation where you're at a restaurant and have to guess. They have cooked items in the database as well.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    MFP's database includes nutritional information for both cooked and raw meat, so I wouldn't sweat it. Best to weigh raw, but sometimes that's not always possible such as in the scenario you described above.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Whatever state you weigh it in, log it that way. Half my meat is logged and weighed raw, the rest is done cooked. I also spent most of my time here in MFP weighing and logging cooked because I was making big batches of stuff, now I make more recipes that require mixing ingredients or I make single servings, so raw is easier.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Raw.

How raw? Let's say I just hit it with a car. Do I weight it before or after I clean it?