How do you do it?

Options
Parvhiz
Parvhiz Posts: 15 Member
edited March 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hello,

I look back into my life and cannot remember a single time in my life where I was slim and happier. I am not morbidly obese but my weight had never been in "normal range".

I tried going on diets and usually ate too little and lost a lot of weight, but always ended up being either mentally or physically sick and gained all the weight back, sometimes more. Even though I knew what the healthier way to losing weight was, I still chose the faster way, which isn't the healthier way. You know, I am desperate, always have been.

No matter what I did, I cannot lose weight. It's not because the diets aren't working... It is because I cannot do it properly. We hear this a lot these days, don't we? "No matter what I do, I cannot seem to lose weight". In most cases that may well be the case due to a health problem and what not but in my case it's rather a control issue.

I always cave into the urges and my constant hunger. I cannot seem to control my brain and say "look... you just ate 30 minutes ago, you aren't really hungry...". Instead, after an hour of battle with my own thoughts, I end up eating - usually end up in overeating.

I try to eat a lot of fibers and drink a lot of water but those do not help. I am just curious and desperate... I need some guidance... How do you control yourself?

Replies

• sarahfeelingood
    sarahfeelingood Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Resisting urges and cravings is really hard. By constant hunger do you mean physical hunger, stomach growling, and hunger pangs, or "head hunger" such as cravings, urges to eat, feeling unsatisfied with your last meal/snack? Sometimes that can mess with us and we get hunger confused with our desire for food. If you feel like you are able to recognize the difference and that this is not the issue, I would suggest seeing your doctor and/or a therapist who can help you. This is either a physiological problem causing you to actually feel hungry when you have had adequate food, or it is a mental thing that you need some coping mechanisms for. A doctor and/or therapist can definitely help with that! When you get a good therapist it can really work wonders. Good luck to you!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Put your settings at one half pound a week so that you can learn to play the long game.
    (U.S usage might be a little different, but you get the point.)
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of wants and needs. What do you require for yourself to be comfortable. Do you want to look a certain way, do you need to change something about your overall health? These things only you can answer for yourself. If BIG changes based in need seem to much to deal with tell yourself "okay for the next hour i will do this". That hour comes and goes. .ready for the next hour ? Hours turn into days, days into weeks. .etc. And in the beginning keep asking yourself of your choices, is this a want or need.

• My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have too much free time. When I start to feel uncontrollable hunger, even though I just ate, I get out my latch hook. My hands and brain are busy focusing on my hobby that I'm no longer concentrating on snacking.

I also workout in the evening, so I don't want a full belly before doing Insanity.

And watch your sugar intake. If you have a sweet treat early in the day, your sugar will spike, then drop, and then your body will be craving more sugar to get that spike again.