Does anyone use meal replacement shakes?

Options
im looking in to them and was wondering if anyone had any success, if it helped them stay full...etc.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    No because I like food?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope, like to chew my food.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Messy, expensive, unsatisfying, not conducive to the social nature of eating.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Whenever I tried to use them, Id end up drinking them with a big mac. Not even kidding. So yeah, I dont have a good experience with those...I like and crave eating actual food.
  • shawnaes91
    shawnaes91 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Any time I try a protein drink I end up eating food with it and over eating. I have better luck with protein bars. I'm short on time in the mornings so I grab a clif bar and that works for me.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Not unless it's a blizzard.
  • suzanne14589
    suzanne14589 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Very helpful comments
    I won't bother to shop for shakes
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Not unless it's a blizzard.

Well dangit, now I want one!
  • StarlightAria
    StarlightAria Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any good experiences?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Only when it's medically required. Can't get past the smell of them.
  • lcbowz
    lcbowz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes! Although it is not really a "meal replacement" shake. 15 years ago I did slim fast and lost 60 lbs. gained most of it back and retried but was not successful; I was always hungry. Jan 9 I began doing the HMR Healthy Choices at Home diet. I drink 3 shakes a day, eat 2 entrees and eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables. I exercise most days of the week and have averaged at least 2 lbs loss per week. I have lost 28.6 lbs as of today.
  • ana3067
    Options
    We have good experiences eating real food. Just eat real food.
  • swole_elsa
    swole_elsa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I do the occasional scoop of protein powder but I typically will mix it in with my food ("cookie dough" dip, protein cookies/brownies, etc.) to make it more palatable. I love the taste of it in those things^ but not usually as just a drink. I know protein shake =/= meal replacement shake, but that's my two cents. I definitely prefer to chew my food, it gives me much more satiety.
  • ana3067
    Options
    lcbowz wrote: »
    Yes! Although it is not really a "meal replacement" shake. 15 years ago I did slim fast and lost 60 lbs. gained most of it back and retried but was not successful; I was always hungry. Jan 9 I began doing the HMR Healthy Choices at Home diet. I drink 3 shakes a day, eat 2 entrees and eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables. I exercise most days of the week and have averaged at least 2 lbs loss per week. I have lost 28.6 lbs as of today.

You could have the same results eating actual food the entire day :/
  • best_kelly_ever
    best_kelly_ever Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any good experiences?

I have and still do occasionally! The kind I use is called Visalus- my mom purchased it for me ages ago because she gets sucked into fad dieting once in a while. I do not sell it nor do I suggest their diet plan. (This is my first ever post so haters... Please don't hate too much.)

With that said there are pros and cons.

Pros: I have a major sweet tooth and LOVE ice cream ( the visalus stuff tastes like cake batter plain). There are a lot of Shake recipes online that are super good ( there is a butterfinger one that I make on the regular). As a side note- I think the same could be done with protein powder. Basically, it's a lower calorie way for me to satisfy my sweet tooth that actually fills me up a bit more so I don't eat a bunch of chocolate or candy ( no will power in this house!).

Cons: Like a year and a half ago, I tried following the suggested replacement plan and I could not do it! I would last a few days and binge- it was way too calorie restrictive and I did feel hungry throughout the day. Another thing is that the shakes can get a little Franken-foody, meaning it's usually combining the powder with other diet foods (like low fat pudding mix or imitation flavoring) to make the different flavors. You don't have to mix in those things... But I do because I'm trying to replicate ice cream!

Long story short: I drink them occasionally, but not often as an actual meal replacement.
  • StarlightAria
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Omg love the adipose. Fellow whovian?
  • StarlightAria
    Options
    lcbowz wrote: »
    I've never heard of it! Please tell me more!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Lazy whovian. I binge watch series, and I haven't watched 8 yet. It's on the list, but I have about 4 others ahead of it that aired first.
  • StarlightAria
    Options

Lazy whovian. I binge watch series, and I haven't watched 8 yet. It's on the list, but I have about 4 others ahead of it that aired first.

Meh I've only watched about three or four episodes of the new doctor.
  • ana3067
    edited March 2015
    Options

tumblr_nerd4rLrKh1rxlobpo2_400.gif
    :'(

(actual series 8 spoiler btw)