Need to eat MORE calories!!

Options
slcostel
slcostel Posts: 116 Member
I seem to only be able to bring myself to eat 800-1000 calories in a day. My job is stressful so I have no appetite, but when I get home I have a big dinner where I consume ALL my calories for the day.

What's a good way to pack more in there? ("Eat more during the day" is not a response I'm looking for. I do what I can, but I can't eat whenever I feel like it at work. I'm around patients, illness, trauma, and death regularly, so I'm just not in the mood to sit down to a filling lunch just then.) Yeah, its cool I'm losing weight, but this isn't a healthy way to do it.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    eat a larger breakfast and high-fat foods? Ice cream, chocolate, cake? Cheese, nuts, fatty fish, eggs, full fat everything.
  • shelbymcelwrtath
    Options
    Protein shakes or weight loss shakes work really well for me. I don't have time to eat on some of my shifts but I'll drink a protein shake when I get a chance to take a 5 min break.
  • DaradysMom
    Options
    I would recommend some of the bagged nuts that can be carried in a purse or pocket. They have the mixed ones with dried fruit. They're easy to eat on the run and give you some great nutrients.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Oh lord, this was my life a few years back when I was consulting. Ready made organic meal replacement shakes can help, but reducing your stress so that you can eat like a person is really ideal. Maybe yoga?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What were you doing when you gained weight? Would it be possible to do a (modified) version of that?

You didn't mention if your job situation was new if so, this wouldn't work.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    slcostel wrote: »
    I seem to only be able to bring myself to eat 800-1000 calories in a day. My job is stressful so I have no appetite, but when I get home I have a big dinner where I consume ALL my calories for the day.

What's a good way to pack more in there? ("Eat more during the day" is not a response I'm looking for. I do what I can, but I can't eat whenever I feel like it at work. I'm around patients, illness, trauma, and death regularly, so I'm just not in the mood to sit down to a filling lunch just then.) Yeah, its cool I'm losing weight, but this isn't a healthy way to do it.

You have one day with over 850 calories in the past week (10% of your 1000+ calorie day came from vodka). Before that you managed to eat 1500-2000 calories.
  • itsmeGennie
    itsmeGennie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My sister is going through the same thing. She's a nurse and just didn't feel hungry.

Eat more nutrient dense foods - throw an avocado on everything. My sister is allergic to a lot of things which doesn't help either. But keep nuts around like cashews and raisins and almonds.
    Make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich but put butter on both sides of the bread and toast it.

Use full fat everything - Greek yogurt especially. Make shakes and add oils.

Buy tuna and use mayo and Dijon dressing. The idea is to sneak in the calories.

+1 for eating a larger breakfast but sometimes you don't have time so prepare it the night before. Meal plan so that you don't have to put allot of energy every say thinking about it.

Good luck!