"Dieting" While Sick?

Options
I've had a really bad cold/sinus infection thing for the past couple days, and I actually have an appetite tonight. I'm interested if anyone else allows themselves to slide a little on healthy eating while sick... I'm craving some chocolate and feel so terrible. I've been up on all the vitamins and liquids to get better, and while I know chocolate won't heal me up, it'll make me feel better for the moment. Is it worth it? How do you handle being sick and eating well?

Replies

• milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If it make you feel better why not? You might need the calories if you haven't eaten much.
  • al142
    al142 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier to recover from illness when in maintenance rather than a deficit. I do try to eat healthy foods when I don't feel well, but of course it's much harder to be strict about food when you feel like crap. I try to be kind to myself and do the best I can.
  • pmg2000m
    pmg2000m Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    With a cold or sinus infection, I tend to eat more homemade chicken soup with lots of vegetables. I wouldn't worry too much going over my calories if it's nutritious food that will help my body heal. I do tend to avoid sugars if I'm not feeling well, as many people believe that it weakens your immune system. Although I'm sure a bit of dark chocolate wouldn't be much of a problem if you're craving it. Sometimes it helps to satisfy a craving, and then move forward. Hope you feel better soon!
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't eat healthy when I'm not sick!! Lol! But seriously, I'm still recovering from bronchitis and a bad sinus infection and for a few days I just laid around and ate! It definitely made me feel better at the time! And I even came away from it with a hefty loss....So I say, eat that chocolate girl!!! :) oh and feel better soon!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    The only time in my life when I don't want to eat is when I'm sick. If you haven't been eating... Eat up! I'm sure you have the calories.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No. I don't know why overeating would be a better thing when one is sick, though I'm not a doctor so I suppose I can't actually say. It's more just my attitude toward it than anything evidence-based. I just don't get the logic, I guess you'd say.

I eat within my calorie goals when I'm sick with anything that isn't a stomach issue, if I have the appetite for it. If it's a stomach issue, obviously I'm probably undereating during those days just because of nausea, and/or I'm throwing up and so on, so once I'm feeling better I just eat up to my normal calorie goals.

Now if I were so physically ill I couldn't stand up and hadn't kept anything down in days, obviously, at that point I'd be getting to the doctor. But that's more of an extreme.
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I usually try to eat...you heal faster.
  • mandychowx
    mandychowx Posts: 179 Member
    Options