Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I think I need to go back to 1200cals....

Hello!

I have been on this weight loss journey off and on for a year and a bit. When I initially started I didn't work out much at all, but i only ate 1200 cals, maybe 1300 some days-tops. I saw great progression with the weight coming off, and inches as well ( every week a lb at least)

Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago, I have started to workout at lease 5 days a week, (shred/lots of walking,sometimes the ellpitcal), along with eating MUCH better then I did the first time around even being at 1200 cals.

The only thing I am doing differently now is eating BACK all my exercise cals. I think I have pinpointed that to be the reason I have not had the same progress as before. Anyone been in the same position? I'd like to hear from ppl who only eat 1200 and it works for them...Or any advice for that matter.

I am feeling healthier and i feel like i Look better, and I know, at the end of the day that is all that matters. I just thought with all this working out and eating healthy i would see a dramatic drop in weight or something magical lol

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    So you are netting 1200 calories since you are eating back exercise calories? Are you confident that you are measuring calorie burn well? MFP way overestimates cardio burn to me...
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    I have my calorie limit set to 1300, with the aim to eat 1200/day. I eat back 50-80% of my exercise calories on most days. Some days it's a struggle to go to 1200-1300 pre-exercise becuase exercise doesn't make me hungry.

But for me, eating back only a portion of my exercise calories works for me. That way I factor in the error from calorie logging (either from miscalculated food calories or from inaccurate exercise calories).
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    I eat 1200 calories period. I work out daily (anywhere from 400 to 1200 calories burned by exercise). I do not eat these calories back. I've lost 26 pounds in the last 2 months. The previous 12 months I ate more calories and lost 25 pounds in 12 months. I think I have found that for me, I should not eat the calories back that I burn off.

Everyone has their way of doing it, but this is working for me.
  • soonerwife41
    soonerwife41 Posts: 43 Member
    I try to stay around 1200 calories. I try not to eat my exercise calories although sometimes I eat a little of them back. I have been losing around .5 pound a week. I am very close to my goal weight so it is coming off pretty slow. I workout 5 days a week. About 75 minutes a day. Turbo Jam, treadmill, weights. I hope this helps.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    I eat in the neighborhood of 1200 most days and do not eat back my exercise calories. About 3 times a week I run a few miles and the calorie burn estimate is usually 1000 or more on those days. On other days I just tone with dumb bells for a few minutes. I have continued to lose weight. It has slowed a little, but that isn't surprising since I am getting close to a normal BMI and have lost about 25% of my body weight.

EDIT - I did some asking around and research on estimating my burn. I feel pretty good about the 1000 being roughly correct and somewhat conservative
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    The problem here is that you're bringing up a topic that is incredibly dividing in the community.. basically asking for only people that are going to agree with you.

plenty will agree. Many, many, many more are going to disagree.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend 1200 calories unless you're fully prepared to do that for the absolute rest of your life. Why not figure out how many calories you need. BMR/TDEE calculations work well.

You don't have to limit yourself to 1200 to lose weight.

My .02?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

use that calculator, be honest with it, and give it a solid 6 weeks before giving up and changing again.
  • MaryKatU
    MaryKatU Posts: 146
    I was doing 1200 calories but didn't eat back all my exercise calories since I was not sure the exact amount I burned. I would eat half of them back.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    How are you determining your exercise calories? If you are going by the MFP estimates, or using the number on the elliptical, you are probably overestimating the amount you're burning.

Unless you are really short, though, 1200 calories is probably too little. If you have been eating at this low level for years, you have probably slowed down your system somewhat and it make take time to repair that. You have to ask yourself if you WANT to keep eating this small amount forever.

Walking and elliptical will improve your cardio fitness and make you feel good, but won't do much for shaping your body. I'd recommend adding in some kind of resistance training. Good for your bones and reshapes your body!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Your numbers aren't jiving. Don't trust the gym machines' caloric burns, they are WAY high. Some by as much as 50% too high. Get an HRM to really zero in on the burns.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    So you are netting 1200 calories since you are eating back exercise calories? Are you confident that you are measuring calorie burn well? MFP way overestimates cardio burn to me...

I agree with this - for many (not all but lots) listings MFP overestimates calore burn. Try only eating back half to 2/3rds of the calories burned to see if that helps. Give it at least a month to see if that works better for you.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Your numbers aren't jiving. Don't trust the gym machines' caloric burns, they are WAY high. Some by as much as 50% too high. Get an HRM to really zero in on the burns.

What numbers? She didn't give the burn amounts she might eat back.
  • Reesecup312
    Reesecup312 Posts: 236 Member
    I lost most of my weight eating 1200-1300 calories and didn't eat back my exercise calories. I always dropped week after week. I am closer to goal now and I am lifting weights so on non lifting days I eat 1400 and on lifting 1600. I am still losing but somewhat slower. I only have 13 more pounds to go, so it is ok. :) I would take other people's advice and maybe just eat some of your cals back and see how that works for you. Maybe just set your goal 1400 a day and don't count your exercise cals. Try it for a week and see if it helps.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Your exercise calories are over estimated. If you workout 5 days a week, set your account to moderate so there isnt a chance to over estimate.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Hello!

I have been on this weight loss journey off and on for a year and a bit. When I initially started I didn't work out much at all, but i only ate 1200 cals, maybe 1300 some days-tops. I saw great progression with the weight coming off, and inches as well ( every week a lb at least)

Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago, I have started to workout at lease 5 days a week, (shred/lots of walking,sometimes the ellpitcal), along with eating MUCH better then I did the first time around even being at 1200 cals.

The only thing I am doing differently now is eating BACK all my exercise cals. I think I have pinpointed that to be the reason I have not had the same progress as before. Anyone been in the same position? I'd like to hear from ppl who only eat 1200 and it works for them...Or any advice for that matter.

I am feeling healthier and i feel like i Look better, and I know, at the end of the day that is all that matters. I just thought with all this working out and eating healthy i would see a dramatic drop in weight or something magical lol

Thanks everyone!

A couple of things to consider .......

First: Eating back all your exercise calories ..... Calorie burns are estimates ...... HRMs are closer estimates IMO (for cardio) ..........IF your calorie burn is "estimated" too high .... you are eating too much

Second: Dramatic drops in weight happen when you first start a diet ..... often it's mostly water weight. Your body has gotten used to your new eating habits .... the weight loss should be slow(er) and steady.

Third: The smaller you get ..... the slower the weight will come off. A (new) smaller you requires fewer calories just to maintain your weight.

Find a reasonable medium with your exercise calories .... start with a % (if not using a HRM) .... and for weight training .... HRMs don't cut it.

I choose to eat my exercise calories back because I want to MAINTAIN muscle mass. Eating too little defeats that purpose. Eating at a too large deficit PROMOTES muscle loss.
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Thanks for all your input. I always make sure to eat 1200 cals(net) no matter, exercise or not . I also use an HRM to calculate my cals burned because I dont trust the gym machines either, and with 30DS I pretty much needed it for the most accuracy.

I'll try to do some more research on it to see what I can alter or try!
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    I might try to eat a little bit of my exercise cals back instead of all 300/400/500cal i may burn through exercise on a regular day. I'll give that a shot!

Thank you!!
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    You are not alone in this! I am at 1300 calories and loose better when I don't eat back exercise calories. I tend to burn maybe 250-350 each exercise session and I never eat back those calories unless I am just starving and I will eat back some, but I don't loose if I eat them back. Everyone is different and some of us just can't eat them back or we gain or stay the same.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Thanks for all your input. I always make sure to eat 1200 cals(net) no matter, exercise or not . I also use an HRM to calculate my cals burned because I dont trust the gym machines either, and with 30DS I pretty much needed it for the most accuracy.

I'll try to do some more research on it to see what I can alter or try!

Keep in mind 30ds is not a huge calorie burner either. Most women I see burn 150-300 max. If you are small its probably closer to 150. I would also make sure your account is set at 1 lb per week as too aggressive will hurt results.