Doctor says 1200, trainer says 3800, what do you say??

Options
124»

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    so try for 4 pounds a week... and I would suggest 2000 for you.
    Mr_Knight wrote:
    Those are inconsistent. To get a 4 pound weekly deficit on a 2000 cal/day intake
    is going to require the dude to run a 10k every day to generate a big enough deficit.
    Not when his normal calorie intake to support his current weight is nearly 3500.
    see what it takes to support your current weight and subtract 1000 cal/day to lose 2 lb/week.
    The calculator says that at 320 lb and inactive, you'd need 3461 cal/day. (It won't let me put in a weight above 320.)
    So try for 2400 and see how it goes.

Aiming for 2000 would mean a projected loss of 3 lb/week, even if he were completely sedentary.
    At his current weight, he's going to use a lot of energy just moving around, so getting another
    500 cal from exercise (to total a 2000 cal deficit & average 4 lb/week lost) shouldn't be too difficult.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote:
    Those are inconsistent. To get a 4 pound weekly deficit on a 2000 cal/day intake
    is going to require the dude to run a 10k every day to generate a big enough deficit.
    Not when his normal calorie intake to support his current weight is nearly 3500.

It's not.

That number can only come from using an incorrect formula for TDEE estimation. Someone carrying that much fat will get significant over-estimates from the standard formulas.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Safe wise 2 pounds, but you said your trainer said to average 5 pounds. If the person is actually your trainer then you should do what they say. If you are going to pay a trainer you should follow their program. That or tell your trainer what your doctor said and tell them to adjust their plans for you to fit the weight loss goal your doctor said to aim for.

Excuse me?

So someone should follow the advice of a person who has potentially no qualifications as opposed to a qualified medical professional who has her medical records to hand

My trainer would never give me dietary advice ...he just pointed me to MFP

What qualifications does your trainer have in nutrition by the way OP?

Yes, the OP said the person was their trainer. To me that means the OP has chosen to pay this person per hour for the trainer to help them lose weight. Which means the OP should stick to what the trainer says, because they have chosen to pay a bunch of money for the trainer to give them advice and help them work out every time they see the trainer. If the OP does not listen to the trainer then the OP is just wasting money on someone they are not really going to listen to. If you finished reading my post you would have seen that I also said the OP could just tell the trainer to adjust their plan to fit what the doctor said the OP's weight loss goal should be.

Dumb. Just because you "paid money" you would blindly follow advice that on the surface appears unreasonable? ? Because you paid for it? Does that sound smart at all?

And don't you also pay the doc? Mine doesn't see me for free.

I would not have gotten a trainer. But the OP did. If I did choose to pay for a trainer I would follow the program they have given me. Because I am not going to pay someone to help me reach a goal and then ignore some of the things they tell me to do. That would be setting myself up to fail and a waste of money. I would have done what I suggested the OP do at the end of my paragraph above with is tell the trainer to set a program up that would follow the weight loss goal the doctor said I should follow. If I thought the advice the trainer had given me sounded unreasonable I would not choose that person as a trainer.

Also, if you had paid attention to what the OP has been posting, you would have seen that the OP has already said they have made an appointment with their companies nutrition on Monday.

So ... the short version of your diatribe ... if you paid somebody and they gave you advice outside of their purview, you'd follow it anyway.

I don't see that as a wise course of action.
  • Elkroawolfan
    Options
    I think the trainer is putting that mark on it to account for what your(energy amount) going to use in the various exercise activities/ depends how intense they are of course. you see for me i need on my training days about 4300kcal due to the high level of cardio and weight-restistance training. Also during training i have high-carb drinks.
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 pounds in two weeks eating around 1300 calories a day and doing cardio. I started off at 350 pounds and want to get to at least 230. What advice can some of you pros give a noob?
    u can safely lose weight on a 1200 cal / day diet.u r already doing it,too.just keep doing what u been doing.3500 cal is too many.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote:

It's not.

That number can only come from using an incorrect formula for TDEE estimation. Someone carrying that much fat will get significant over-estimates from the standard formulas.

Hmm, I was getting an observed TDEE of 2800 kcals/day with a pretty high body fat % in the 225 lb range.