Down, down, down..then up??

Options
Since this is my first go at losing weight primarily by calorie/portion management (previously I was active outdoors and so was managed in that manner), I'm stll learning about the often odd behavoirs of the human body. :)

For example, I was steadily losing weight at a healthy sustainable rate and all was good. While I did expect to plateau at some point, what I didnt expect is that I would start to gain again. No change in food/calories/exercise/etc.

Anyone else experience this? Any thing I should change?

Thanks much,
O.

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Some weeks you lose, some you gain and some you stay the same. THe gain could be due to your exercise or some extra sodium.

Just keep doing what you are doing. Now and again you should switch things up to avoid a plateau though.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Depends what sort of gain you're talking about. I gain weight 3-4 days/week. No biggie.
  • OrionG
    OrionG Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Over the last 3 weeks or so, I was on a steady, consistent 2+ lbs/week loss. Nothing changed in routine/calories/exercise/etc. I weighed myself and was up about .5 lbs, in 1 day. Thought it seemed odd but will just keep to the routine.

Thanks again,
    O.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You may just need to duke one. I've fluctuated by 5 lbs in a day so do not be concerned about .5 pounds
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    totally normal.:flowerforyou:

2gyajrb.jpg
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates about 7 lbs daily
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Yup! Actually, virtually every time I hit a new low, I'll jump up 1-2 lbs overnight and stay there for at least half a week (sometimes longer) before it creeps down again. And this is without any change to routine, diet, exercise, etc.

I've come to recognize that this is a pattern in my weight loss, and don't sweat it.
  • OrionG
    OrionG Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yup! Actually, virtually every time I hit a new low, I'll jump up 1-2 lbs overnight and stay there for at least half a week (sometimes longer) before it creeps down again. And this is without any change to routine, diet, exercise, etc.

I've come to recognize that this is a pattern in my weight loss, and don't sweat it.

Hmmm, thats good to hear. That seems match whats happening with me as well. Steady 2 lbs/wk for about 3 weeks, now I'm gaining about .5/lb/day. My suspicion is that the body is trying to set a new set point.

I was telling a friend of mine about this, and she said, not really believing me, "Oh, you're full of crap!". We both chuckled and then I thought....Hmmmm, maybe that _would_ account for the weight gain... :)

thanks.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    One time I stepped on the scale, stepped off it, had a couple good farts, stepped back on it and was down 0.2 pounds. Haha.
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I gained 8 lbs yesterday and dropped a couple today, but I couldn't get to the store and was eating junk. It should be better tomorrow.
  • fitjules35
    fitjules35 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

This also just happened to me. I was up 2 pounds for about 5 days, got frustrated and decided to stop weighing daily. next time i got on the scale ( a week or so later) i was down 3.5. it all evens out. if .5 bugs you, i suggest you don't weigh in every day.