breastfeeding and weight loss

Options
Hi,
I exclusively breastfeed my five month old and have been successful with losing 1-2 lbs a week weighing and measuring for the last month or two while doing my second round of Shaun T's Focus T25 workouts. I have to eat very low-fat for my gallbladder but otherwise am seeking some advice on how to use mfp's guided settings while dealing with variables that go with breastfeeding (growth spurt, etc). I don't want to 1. Lose my milk supply or 2. Get so hungry that I binge. I started the beta workout cycle this week (weights) and am constantly famished. My diary is public. Many thanks for insight.

Replies

• emmavagg
    emmavagg Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hello and congrats on your little one, I am breastfeeding my 16 week old and I add 500 calories a day as per the NHS. I try to eat around 1700 a day but I do tend to go over if I am really hungry. I have lost 24lbs since having her and just have 15 more to go. Sorry I can't be of more help and feel free to friend me :)
  • Mountaingirl33
    Mountaingirl33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I feel like I have been successful with weight loss at 1700 but this week am so hungry. I think I will increase water intake and see if that helps :)
  • Melbo89
    Melbo89 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I feel like I have been successful with weight loss at 1700 but this week am so hungry. I think I will increase water intake and see if that helps :)
    Water definitely helps, but if you need something more satisfying try tea. I go though cups and cups of chamomile, vanilla, cinnamon, etc. Zero calories and 100% flavor.
  • alaynavee
    alaynavee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This is a great question! I would definitely listen to your body, and if you are feeling famished, you may need to add more calories - 200-300 high quality protein and carbs may be all it takes. Especially if you've added to your workout routine this week, you may just need a little more energy.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Kellymom.com recommends that EBF women stay above 1800. I don't know your stats, but you could likely bump up and still lose nicely.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If you are EBFing, you should be eating more. LLL recommends 1800 calories, minimum.
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvoctnov97p115.html

Without your stats, it's hard to say how much you should be eating.

I'm 5'2 and have a 10 week old. I'm eating 2000 calories and not doing a whole lot of exercise. I'm slowly losing weight. I gained a little over 24 lbs with pregnancy and as of this morning I have 4.4 lbs left to get to pre-pregnancy.
  • Mountaingirl33
    Options
    I am 5'6" CW 140 GW 125.
  • Mountaingirl33
    Options
    Melbo89 wrote: »
    Water definitely helps, but if you need something more satisfying try tea. I go though cups and cups of chamomile, vanilla, cinnamon, etc. Zero calories and 100% flavor.
    I can try that. Thanks!
  • Mountaingirl33
    Options
    avalters wrote: »
    This is a great question! I would definitely listen to your body, and if you are feeling famished, you may need to add more calories - 200-300 high quality protein and carbs may be all it takes. Especially if you've added to your workout routine this week, you may just need a little more energy.

Thanks for this. I've been limiting fatty protein for medical reasons but need to be more thoughtful about diet.
  • Mountaingirl33
    Options
    Kellymom.com recommends that EBF women stay above 1800. I don't know your stats, but you could likely bump up and still lose nicely.

I will try that and see if it helps, thanks!
  • Jockimom
    Jockimom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Most babies go through growth spurts, especially on the "3s" and "6s", so your little one might be ramping up for the 6-month growth spurt. Your recent hunger might be due to the increased milk supply and may pass in a few weeks, so by all means, eat to your hunger level. Besides, you'll burn a gazillion calories once that little one is mobile :D Congratulations!