Strong is sexy!

Options
2»

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous.
    I wish I had female friends to workout with at the gym.

Their camaraderie and support for each other was a nice thing to watch. Much more fun for me to watch than a bunch of guys doing the same things.

really?

2qtg1fc.jpg

EDIT: Vasily Alexeev is actually awesome, just not very easy on the eye!
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I loved this so much!! When I was in college women could not play in the U of M marching band because it was "too strenuous", and there were no women running in marathons. I always thought it was BS. How great to see how far we have come!!!!
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    :love:
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    This looks so scary to me! What happens if they get too much momentum and don't stop at the top??

I have irrational fears about weight training. lol.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    This looks so scary to me! What happens if they get too much momentum and don't stop at the top??

Generally they're squatting down under it because they can't pull it any higher :p
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Generally they're squatting down under it because they can't pull it any higher :p

Ah. So there will be no arms snapping at the shoulder accidents then? haha....
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    That is pretty frickin awesome.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Ah. So there will be no arms snapping at the shoulder accidents then? haha....
    I'm sure you can damage your rotator cuff if you tried, but generally Oly lifters would just drop it and bail out of the way if it all goes pear shaped :P

Risk of injury isn't really a reason to not do something :D - if I lived by that, I'd never do anything at all, ever, seeing as I sprained my neck when I was little by turning my head too fast. I needed a foam support collar for 2 months!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Biggest injury risk would be a dislocated elbow in the snatch, if you hyperextend it, or have a loose joint, or dropping the weight on yourself. Both are pretty rare for the average person, as long as you learn when and how to bail from a lift.

There was actually a study* on this in 1994, and weightlifting was either the safest or very close to the safest sport in terms of injury rates, with 0.0013 injuries per 100 hours of duration.

All that said, to reiterate Ironanimal, sometimes you have to take risk, we do it every day driving cars, crossing roads etc.. Otherwise we'd never leave the house.

*Brian P. Hamill, (1994). Relative Safety of Weightlifting and Weight Training. Journal of Strength Conditioning Research, Vol. 8, No. 1, pages 53-57.