My Fitness Pal OVER-estimating calories burned?

Options
13»

Replies

• Chadillac8884
    Chadillac8884 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I always change the number MFP suggests, and underestimate it just to be safe.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Calorie estimate for cycling seems a bit high. I usually just go by 40/mile for that at my size/weight (175lb, 5'10").
  • arkowalyshyn
    arkowalyshyn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am 30 years old, 150lbs, regularly active. The burns seem to be close for me, but I think the 'formula' to calculate caloric output is based on someone with similar stats. I don't usually eat back many of my earned calories specifically, just use it as a cushion for error in logging. (Or to "cover" the occasional taste while cooking/preparing food)
  • KnotAHarley
    KnotAHarley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost 56 # in 24 week Following MyFitness There calories were lower than my HRM So it was a plus to follow there's
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My Garmin syncs to MFP and is probably as close to being as accurate as one can get without spending a TON of money. But you have to be wary of which HRM you purchase, not all of them are equal. Wrist HRM aren't as accurate as chest straps, but its close. Also, don't log stuff like cleaning or doing laundry, that just makes you feel better if you have a cheat meal..."Well I did clean the house and do laundry, which is 500 calories burned, so I can have this piece of cake!"
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I put the exercise into mapmyrun (sister app to MFP). I think it's good at estimating for running, I do eat back all that, because it tracks me so it knows I am slow.

But yoga? I have to put the classes in as shorter than they are to get the burn estimate down - I told it this morning I was doing a vigorous hour long yoga class (it's 1 hour 15 min power vinyasa but we rest at the end) and it gave me nearly 800 kcal? I weigh 136lb, I am not burning 800 calories in a yoga class no matter how many pushups we do. So I put in classes as 45min or 50min but never 1.25 hours

I will say, though, as a note, that throughout my life the difference in my size has been due much, much more to exercise than eating, personally. Excluding the early years when I was eating disordered, that was eating restriction but was not healthy. My body seems to respond a lot to movement, and be somewhat resistant to diet in either direction. Like if I am working out a lot it's hard for me to gain any weight, but if I am not working out at all (injury) I can't seem to restrict calories low enough to lose even a pound, and weight will creep upward.

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I found them to overestimate by 40%. For me.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I correct this by only logging 50% of my exercise minutes. easy peasy.