Oral surgery - any smoothies you can share?

Options
im having my wisdom teeth out in 2 weeks, and I need a way to avoid living on milkshakes for three days and hurting my healthy eating. Do any of you have any tips or recipes? I've never made supplement shakes before.

Thanks!

Replies

• slimstrauss
    slimstrauss Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Had a wisdom tooth out too!
    Puréed soups are good and scrambled eggs found it hard to bite for nearly a week! Luckily I love yoghurt.
  • poirot51
    poirot51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love my PB smoothie
    1 cup skim milk - i dont like yogurt in a smoothie
    - Frozen - 10 cherries, 4 pcs frozen banana (half a small), another frozen 1/3 cup fruit
    - 2 T powdered peanut butter
    - 1 sweet and low
    - About 266 calories
    if you freeze some milk cube, you can make it thicker
  • gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that once you have your teeth removed you can't drink from a straw. It can cause dry socket or something like that.
  • jangus9416
    jangus9416 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like to add oatmeal, flax seeds, and/or chia seeds to my smoothies. That would be good for you since you won't be able to eat whole foods
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    gagnon9691 wrote: »
    Just keep in mind that once you have your teeth removed you can't drink from a straw. It can cause dry socket or something like that.

came in here to say this. Whatever you do, don't suck it through a straw!

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are not going to feel like eating much the first day anyway.

My dentist wanted me to stay away from pieces of things -- so for the first 24 hours he wanted yogurt or ice cream. Also the cold, keeps the swelling down. :)

Otherwise, scrambled eggs, bread pudding with lots of eggs, soups taken by spoon, mashed potatoes with cheese mixed in for protein, hummus, cottage cheese, cream of chicken soup.
  • maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As above, scrambled eggs, soups, mashed potatoes with cheese mixed in (actually I used a potato ricer for mine to get rid of any lumps at all), anything liquid-y. It's amazing what you will put in a ricer when you're hungry :neutral_face: Also, mashed avocado and scrambled eggs became a go to for me (I had all 4 out because they were too big for my jaw, and didn't have any issues at all with recovery eating the above).
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    jangus9416 wrote: »
    I like to add oatmeal, flax seeds, and/or chia seeds to my smoothies. That would be good for you since you won't be able to eat whole foods

NO, please don"t..... Flax seeds and chia seeds will get stuck in the holes and stitches... Costco has a good protein shake, add a banana and some ice cream or yogurt to it, you wont have much of an appetite the first two days anyways..
    Around day three eat pasta with egg, and puree some veggies to use as a pasta sauce. Custard, instant pudding mix with protein powder and more ice cream....
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    jangus9416 wrote: »

NO, please don"t..... Flax seeds and chia seeds will get stuck in the holes and stitches...

Came to say this ^^!

It's bad enough when chia seeds go all jelly - like and stick to your teeth, they would definitely find their way into the sockets!

when I had mine out I didn't really eat much differently - I had a general anesthetic so didn't really feel up to much that day, next day I had yogurt and banana for breakfast, soup for lunch, mashed veg for dinner. the day after I was up for soft chewing so steamed veg, pasta and rice, soft fruits were all on the table
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Papaya protein shake: 1 cup papaya, 1 heaping scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/2 cup water or milk of choice. Blend and enjoy