A new reason to love pictures? Maybe....

Options
sonjavon
sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
I have always hated having pictures taken of me. Not only because I'm fat...but it seems like I'm always in an awkward position, making a strange face, doing something stupid and *click* there it is... frozen in time for all eternity... to be posted on facebook, shown at family dinners, etc... yeah, you get the idea... I hate pictures.

So, here I am preparing to go on vacation to my sister's house and then to my in-laws this summer. I'm going shopping for new clothes that will hopefully show off what I've lost and help to conceal what I haven't - all at the same time, thankyouverymuch (please?). I'm making my hair appointment, my nail appointment and spending every last second that I can in the sun so as to look my absolute best... and therefor FEEL my absolute best and maybe not be the cranky, fat relative who everyone loves so much.. (just kidding, I'm not usually cranky... just when the danged camera comes out).

So, I sat here yesterday looking at all the Before/After pictures while eating my lunch. Hey, it works for me... certainly keeps you from wanting seconds. And the thought hit me.... One more year of fat pictures. One more year of hating what I see in the pictures.

That's when I decided... NO, I will not hate what I see in those pictures. They will be amazing "during" pictures. I'm not as fat as I was, not as thin as I will be... they are simply a snapshot of me at a moment in time. And a year from now when I post my pictures to show how far I've come... they will show where I was in July 2010.

Fair warning though... anyone shows up to the pool with a camera... I WILL drowned it! LOL!

Enjoy every moment guys... this is a journey and you don't want to miss out on all those moments in between your Before and your After!

Replies

• AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    Haha Great post! I completely understand!! This made me smile :smile:

Have a good day! Enjoy your vacation time!!
  • niki7g
    niki7g Posts: 41
    Options
    Great post .. Love it ... I so know what you mean. xxxx
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    lol I agree!! I've been "hating" pictures since I gained this weight... and only recently have I been able to say, "Okay, yes, I still FEEL like I LOOK fat in that picture...but look at THIS one from 5 months ago!! And I can't wait to see the picture I can take later on in the year when I'm at my goal weight and compare it to my befores & durings." :)
  • coffeegirl1998
    coffeegirl1998 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Good point! Thanks for sharing...I am at the beginning of my journey...and I just went on vacation and fussed at my daughter for taking pictures of me. I had considered getting rid of those pictures but now, i will keep them to remind me of the great victory that I have made when I am goal weight!!!
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I'm leaving on vacation in two weeks and have been thinking a lot about pictures. I have two little ones and everyone keeps telling me to take lots of pics of them growing up - and I have been - but something has been missing when I look through them all...pics of their Mommy.

I'd like them to be able to look back and see the smile I have on my face every moment I spend with them. They aren't going to care what Mommy weighed...

That said, I'm getting my nails done and hair done before we leave FOR SURE lol ;)
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this .....you just reminded me of how far I have come and I need to STOP complaining about how awful I look in pictures!! I used to literally hide from the camera and would get absolutely upset at ANYONE who clicked a picture!!! And now looking back it was crazy but it was how I felt at the time. Since losing a total of 76 lbs. I have loosened up on it and actually volunteer to get in a picture but for some reason I have been down on myself the last few weeks!!

Your post has reminded me of how far I have really come in this journey and that I do look so much better than I did 76 lbs. ago :smile: It's strange but when I look in the mirror I don't see what others see , I don't see the changes BUT when I look at before and during pictures of myself I CAN SEE it ....I can see how much thinner my face looks and how I just overall look better!! So I am going to embrace all the pictures taken of me and when I get to my goal I will be happy to have all the before and during pictures :bigsmile: