former smoker

I smoked for many years in the past and now being 40 and trying to get into shape I feel it. While I know it takes time, I feel like my stamina for high intensity things like running sucks. Is this just being old? I see other people older than me going strong and I know that smoking hurt my cardiovascular.
I want to know how to improve that and gain more energy. Is there a certain type of cardio?

Juicing? My diet I think is ok.. also I'm a vegetarian and eat fairly healthy.

Replies

• canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    First, congrats on quitting smoking. Good for you!!!

I smoked for many years, quit around ten years ago. Cardio hurt for a while, but now not at all. In fact it takes a lot for me to be out of breath. You'll get there, it'll just take time. I run HIIT and spin.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i quit a year ago and am 37. i first started working out in january- could barely do 10 minutes on the elliptical, now can do an hour without much effort and have started branching out to other equipment as well. For me, i felt it was more being fat and inactive and unhealthy that made it hard, than being a former smoker. LOLOLOL

theres a woman in my zumba class who smokes and she kicks MAJOR butt in there (and does several classes a week, i believe)
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    ladies thanks for your encouragement! I was thinking I just need to push through it. I did have a breakthrough and was able to get myself on the stairmaster the other day..love that!

I ate a lot of crap before (baking and too much carbs)..and really trying to be healthy now
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    As a former long term smoker I ran a 20:06 5K , 1:35:25 1/2 marathon, and 3:32:12 marathon over the age of 50.

Your lungs will recover in a few months as long as you don't have COPD.