Olive oil: how do you track it

Options
languageSteph
languageSteph Posts: 25 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I am a splasher and a twirler. I could measure the olive oil I use but part of the fun is splashing and twirling the bottle around when I out it in a pan or on a salad. The thing is, this fun method has no equiv in MFP, so what's a gal to do? How do U track your olive oil? Even if you use a TB OR tsp, if u cook with it and some evaporates or is absorbed, does that really count the same?

I am fully aware how nit picky I am being and that my use of olive oil is NOT what got me or my fat rolls here. But I am curious all the same. Thx in advance for ur input.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Measure it, log it, eat it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Actually, oil is super high calorie so you should definitely try to track it! To not have to give up the splashing and twirling, I'd suggest weighing the bottle before you use the oil and after, and logging the difference in grams. The USDA entry lets you log it in grams.
  • ZenSakura
    ZenSakura Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hmm...if you have a food scale you could measure it by grams. Weigh the bottle with the oil in it, splash and twirl to your heart's content, and then weigh the bottle again. Subtract the second weight from the first weight, and you should have the amount of grams you used.
  • landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Spend some time experimenting so you have some idea of how much is in a splash or a twirl. It won't be exact, but you'll get closer.

I've calibrated my eye like this for a few things. I know what 2 tablespoons of peanut butter look like (it looks like yum). I know what 10 vs. 12 oz of milk looks like in the glasses we use.
  • jimrichardson00
    jimrichardson00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use as little as possible and don't track it all.

I splash a bit on the pan, let it heat up so that it is less viscous, swirl it around so it covers the whole pan, then drain the remainder out - so there is just a thin layer on the pan now.

Seems to work for me, but YMMV
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Measure it out, then splash it around with some other utensil.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    with a scale.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am a splasher and a twirler. I could measure the olive oil I use but part of the fun is splashing and twirling the bottle around when I out it in a pan or on a salad. The thing is, this fun method has no equiv in MFP, so what's a gal to do? How do U track your olive oil? Even if you use a TB OR tsp, if u cook with it and some evaporates or is absorbed, does that really count the same?

I am fully aware how nit picky I am being and that my use of olive oil is NOT what got me or my fat rolls here. But I am curious all the same. Thx in advance for ur input.

If you are cooking at a high enough temperature for your olive oil to "evaporate" you would be burning your food so badly I would think it would be inedible.

As for being "absorbed," what kind of material are you cooking things in that they would absorb oil? If the food absorbs the oil, you're eating it. Or do you mean that you drain your food on towels? If it's the latter, you may lose a very small percentage of the oil you put in the pan to the towels. Unless you're deep frying, or seeing enough oil left in the pan that it pools and can be poured back out of the pan (rather than just being a film on the pan), I think you're talking about a calorie difference that's well within the usual margin of error involving in measuring and tracking.

Alaterial's idea of weighing the bottle before and after is a good one, assuming you have a scale that weighs in grams (one that measures only in ounces or even half ounces just isn't exact enough for a food that has about 120 calories in a half ounce -- that means every measurement could be off by as much as 60 calories for olive oil, since the scale has to round all those in between weights up or down).

Edited to fix typo.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    ZenSakura wrote: »
    Hmm...if you have a food scale you could measure it by grams. Weigh the bottle with the oil in it, splash and twirl to your heart's content, and then weigh the bottle again. Subtract the second weight from the first weight, and you should have the amount of grams you used.

I hadn't thought of this before. I like it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Well, adding unknown amounts of oil is part of what got you fat. My tablespoon of olive oil is around 120 calories. A couple of tablespoons every day could be kind of significant. Is fun more important than weight loss?
    Just measure it out and log what you add.
    If you measure before you add it, you could measure what is left in the pan after to see how much was absorbed
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    with a scale.

Can't weigh volume. Should be using measuring spoons. Only oil I weight is coconut.
  • ana3067
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »

No, use measuring spoons.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Why?

Serous question.
  • ana3067
    edited March 2015
    Options

Why?

Serous question.

Because
    with a scale.

Can't weigh volume. Should be using measuring spoons. Only oil I weight is coconut.

Measure liquids, weigh solids
  • never2bstopped
    Options

Why?

Serous question.

Because
    with a scale.

But you can measure a volume and then weigh it and use that weight as your measurement. Is there a reason this wouldn't work?
  • ana3067
    Options

Why?

Serous question.

Because
    with a scale.

But you can measure a volume and then weigh it and use that weight as your measurement. Is there a reason this wouldn't work?

Why bother doing that when you can just enter the volume used... Also half a tsp is supposed to be about 2ml but when I used to weigh my pool and log 2ml it didn't give me the same calories as the measures entry does. This was using the same entry I had made myself, only altered the serving to change from ml to tsp.
  • never2bstopped
    Options

Why?

Serous question.

Because
    with a scale.

Why bother doing that when you can just enter the volume used...
    Because it was the best way to account for the way the op wanted to cook.
    Also half a tsp is supposed to be about 2ml but when I used to weigh my pool and log 2ml it didn't give me the same calories as the measures entry does. This was using the same entry I had made myself, only altered the serving to change from ml to tsp.

That's odd, I wonder why that would be.

Thanks for taking the time to explain your experience.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    with a scale.

Nobody is telling her to "weigh a volume." They're telling her to track the oil by weight. A gram of oil has exactly the same calories as *drumroll* a gram of oil. If you measure by weight, and log by weight, there isn't a problem.

• ana3067
    Options

Why?

Serous question.

Because
    with a scale.

Also half a tsp is supposed to be about 2ml but when I used to weigh my pool and log 2ml it didn't give me the same calories as the measures entry does. This was using the same entry I had made myself, only altered the serving to change from ml to tsp.

One of my food scales even indicates that the weight of oils will be off by 10%. Better to just use a measuring spoon.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Why?

Serous question.

Because
    with a scale.

One of my food scales even indicates that the weight of oils will be off by 10%. Better to just use a measuring spoon.

1) OP doesn't want to use a measuring spoon; she wants to be able to "twirl."
    2) Odds are your volume measures are off by 10% too.
    3) There are MFP entries based on USDA database entries for olive oil that include both weight and volume measures. (They are likely more accurate than your self-created entry which apparently doesn't give you the same results when change from ml to tsp, which, by the way, are both volume measures, so weighing your oil and logging it in mls makes no sense. It's not water.)

Edited to change list from letters to numbers, since B followed by a ) is apparently a sunglass-wearing emoticon.