how to "maintain" your current weight!! (BASICS EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW) !!

Options
2»

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    normadavy3 wrote: »
    Interesting discussion and good to know there is so much knowledge on the subject on here. My main worry, however isn't the so much the calculation method but the effect of suddenly having so many more calories. I reached my goal weight today and am ready to maintain but am so scared of gaining. I've recalculated using MFP and an additional 470 calories is recommended. Do I build up to this slowly or just change to the higher amount from today? It feels like a recipe for disaster so if anyone who has been through this could advise I would be so grateful.

OP says that his formula doesn't even work (he had to adjust by 250 calories). So go with MFP's recommendation--up your calories slowly if it makes you more comfortable.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion and good to know there is so much knowledge on the subject on here. My main worry, however isn't the so much the calculation method but the effect of suddenly having so many more calories. I reached my goal weight today and am ready to maintain but am so scared of gaining. I've recalculated using MFP and an additional 470 calories is recommended. Do I build up to this slowly or just change to the higher amount from today? It feels like a recipe for disaster so if anyone who has been through this could advise I would be so grateful.

First of all you need to resolve the "scared" and "disaster" mind-set.
    You lost your excess weight because you ate the right number of calories to create a deficit - you will maintain your weight successfully for exactly the same reason, eating the right number of calories. Strip away the emotion and fear and it's just a numbers game.

You will need a range of weight you are happy to maintain within not a single number or you will be fearful of temporarily gaining a pound leading to holidays and celebration meals being a source of stress instead of joy.

You will need to experiment over a period of weeks to find your maintenance calories and walking up your calories will achieve that. You may get sudden fluctuations out of proportion to the 3500 = a pound of fat "rule" but that's just natural fluctuations. Water and the volume of food in your system mostly. Trust the numbers.

Over time you will get used to maintenance and it becomes "normal" and you can relax and find your long term method to keep the weight off. Vigilance required but not an iron grip. :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I agree with the x17 (in my case), its been working perfectly for me for 6 months - my Fitbit also gives me same numbers so all is good :smile:

and I didn't up mine right away, increased by 200 cals at a time and upped every few weeks til I noticed gain (not fluctuating gains but real gain). 2200 is my TDEE at 5ft 2"/active/45 yrs.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

Some say to go 3-5lb under your goal weight if you're cutting quite hard. The normal maintenance calories bring water, glycogen, food in gut build up additional weight. Nothing to freak out about. Just healthy stuff, not fat, but bear it in mind...
  • LaurieNDogs
    LaurieNDogs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Actually some days I am having trouble eating back calories burned from exercise (running). I am under my goal weight by a few pounds. I do NOT want to eat garbage I've worked too hard to develop good habits. Suggests? (I tend to come in low on my protein - no legumes please am allergic). Thanks! (or is the wrong MB?)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @LaurieNDogs peanut butter/ nuts/ more fruit etc that's the sort of things you could reach your cals with :smile: