tips for maintaining weight without gaining weight

I have recently started maintaining weight. From about 1300 kcal a day I have gradually up'ed my calories to about 1600 a day now without gaining weight. I weigh 44kg and am 159.5cm tall. I exercise at least 4 days/ 4 hours a week mostly intense cardio and HIIT at least two days a week.

My questions are:
If you ever see a slight weight gain is that a sign that you've now gone over your daily maintenance calories?

Do you still have to continue your daily exercise routine in order for you not to gain weight? I have dropped my exercise gradually from daily HIIT ( 40 minutes HIIT daily) to about 2 days/50 minutes a week of HIIT.

Replies

• paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    How many weeks have you been maintaining at 1600 cals? Give it a few weeks, perhaps a month. Weight gain may be from water weight.
    Am not sure for your 2nd question, but based on mybexperience I used to maintain at 1800 then stopped exercising last Jan 26. Still maintaining at around 1750 and no weight change. Planning to up calories actually. Try calculating for your tdee or using what mfo recommends and just eat back 50-75% of your calories burned.
  • latteking
    latteking Posts: 27 Member
    Thank u. Yep I'm trying to up my calories as well to about 1800 but am scared to slow down on my exercise which I find to be a little too intense and exhausting from time to time...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    If you ever see a slight weight gain is that a sign that you've now gone over your daily maintenance calories?
    Absolutely not!
    Most of the weight fluctuations you see will be from variations in hydration levels and the amount of food in your system. It takes time and a lot of overeating to gain a pound of fat but five seconds to drink a pint of water and gain a pound. I had a massive calorie deficit yesterday but up two pounds on the scales this morning - a bit of muscle soreness (water retention) and a big volume of food required to fuel a 4hr cycle ride.

Do you still have to continue your daily exercise routine in order for you not to gain weight? I have dropped my exercise gradually from daily HIIT ( 40 minutes HIIT daily) to about 2 days/50 minutes a week of HIIT.
    You didn't lose weight because you exercised, you lost weight because your calorie balance was tilted towards a deficit. Yes exercise was a part of that but only a minor part.
    Exercise is for health, fitness and hopefully enjoyment so have a think about how your routine fits with that for the long term.

Exercise goals are a great thing to replace a weight loss goal - some people can feel a little "lost" at maintenance as suddenly there isn't the focus and reward of seeing your weight come down.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Exercise goals are a great thing to replace a weight loss goal - some people can feel a little "lost" at maintenance as suddenly there isn't the focus and reward of seeing your weight come down.
    Totally agree! Which is why I'm trying to create exercise goals. There's no finish line to the fitness journey, i think, but just more room for improvement in oneself.

If you feel like exercise is geting exhausting, lower it down a bit or why not try something you enjoy? For me, it would be swimming.