Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    pjones0 wrote: »
    draznyth wrote: »
    crazy how I saw two threads pop up in my recent tab at the same time

this diet is pointless and stupid. just like every diet

MFP is for making sustainable lifestyle changes that will give you a lifetime of success and health

Yeah count calories the rest of your life, that makes sense.

You realize you're on a ... wait for it ... CALORIE COUNTING WEBSITE! And who says it has to be something you do for your entire life? A number of people here have managed to not count for months and maintain their weight just fine. A huge part of this is learning to eat properly for the needs of your body. In the 9 months I've been at this I've gone from eating damn near everything put in front of me when I order to being more than happy to share a 12" sub sandwich with my husband. Moderation and all.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Some people feel restricted when it comes to counting calories. I do understand why people go for diet's like this and the ever so popular one shakeology. I for one, will not help someone get rich of me for wanting to get thin and healthy. Counting calories works for me, I average a 2 lb weight loss a week. I have learned to eat healthier, I will not pay someone for workout videos, diet products or shopping lists. I also can not follow a guided shopping list. I have a family of 7 and on a very tight budget and buy on sale items mostly, so my meal plans change often. I wish you all much success on your journey.
  • ellesMFP93
    ellesMFP93 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Diet = food and drink regularly consumed. You are still eating a 'diet' even if you aren't counting calories and trying to lose weight.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    ellesMFP93 wrote: »
    Diet = food and drink regularly consumed. You are still eating a 'diet' even if you aren't counting calories and trying to lose weight.

you're just arguing semantics

from dictionary.com:

di·et1
    ˈdīət/
    noun
    noun: diet; plural noun: diets

the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
    "a vegetarian diet"

synonyms: selection of food, food, foodstuffs; More
    informalgrub, nosh
    "health problems related to your diet"
    a regular occupation or series of activities in which one participates.
    "a healthy diet of classical music"
    a special course of food to which one restricts oneself, either to lose weight or for medical reasons.

"I'm going on a diet"

so when we say MFP is not about "diets", we are obviously using the second given definition. but I'm sure you already know that, and just want to be argumentative to deflect from our criticism of these silly restrictive diets.
  • ellesMFP93
    Options
    so when we say MFP is not about "diets", we are obviously using the second given definition. but I'm sure you already know that, and just want to be argumentative to deflect from our criticism of these silly restrictive diets.

I wasn't arguing with you guys. I agree with you. These fad 'diets' aren't sustainable and you will almost always put the weight back on.
    I was pointing out to the guy that said you can't count calories and be on a diet for the rest of your life that your diet is what you consistently eat.
    I'm in complete agreeance with you on restrictive, non sustainable diets like this.
  • FitForL1fe
    edited June 2015
    Options

I wasn't arguing with you guys. I agree with you. These fad 'diets' aren't sustainable and you will almost always put the weight back on.
    I was pointing out to the guy that said you can't count calories and be on a diet for the rest of your life that your diet is what you consistently eat.
    I'm in complete agreeance with you on restrictive, non sustainable diets like this.

gotcha

this is where the quote function helps :mrgreen:

you are spot on with the "fad" diets. I'm sure most have us have tried some of them before at least once, before we learned the proper way of eating for long-term health and happiness
  • ellesMFP93
    Options

you are spot on with the "fad" diets. I'm sure most have us have tried some of them before at least once, before we learned the proper way of eating for long-term health and happiness

I thought what I'm currently doing was a fad diet when I first started it. But it is super easy to maintain. It's high fat low carb making sure carbs are low GI. I still have a cheat day every month or so but I feel rotten when I do eat high GI carbs so I barely ever want them. This works for me in particular because I'm insulin resistant but I'm not sure how badly high GI carbs affect other people.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    These fads frustrate the life out of me! They aren't sustainable and what do you do after 17 days, go back to the way you ate before then come running back when your weight reaches a point that you aren't happy with anymore? Much better to count cals daily, work out your deficit and stick to it. For anyone who is remotely interested in maintaining a healthy, balanced lifestyle where you don't need to rely on these fads for weight loss then check out a friends post on another thread. Happy reading http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196532/a-guide-to-avoid-the-woo-woo-in-mfp-land/p2
  • FitForL1fe
    Options

I thought what I'm currently doing was a fad diet when I first started it. But it is super easy to maintain. It's high fat low carb making sure carbs are low GI. I still have a cheat day every month or so but I feel rotten when I do eat high GI carbs so I barely ever want them. This works for me in particular because I'm insulin resistant but I'm not sure how badly high GI carbs affect other people.

haha you need a little practice with the quote function but it sounds like you are on the right track

good luck with your goals!
  • ellesMFP93
    Options
    Hahah yeah I have no idea how to use the quote function. I'm lost with it.

Good luck to you to!
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    Hahah yeah I have no idea how to use the quote function. I'm lost with it.

Good luck to you to!

:flowerforyou: