Can I start stronglifts 5x5 with caloric deficit ?

Options
jee_nee_us
jee_nee_us Posts: 107 Member
I weigh 238 lbs and my height is 5 feet 8 inches and currently have a BMI of 36.2 . I don't know my BF% but it must be high at the moment. Is this a good idea to start stronglifts to build muscles as well while I lose fat? With caloric deficit is it even possible? and I am a male.

Replies

• endubz
    endubz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Overweight beginners will have no problem getting stronger while on a deficit. I would avoid eating at a large deficit though. Keep the weight loss slow and sustainable.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You can increase strength and help maintain existing muscle mass while in a deficit. It is very unlikely that you will build muscle mass though. Generally to build muscle mass you need a calorie surplus.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You may find this link - as well as the rest of the site - to be of interest.

Personally, having dropped ~100 lbs myself, I strongly (no pun intended) recommend a lifting program while you are dropping that weight ... to help you retain your muscle mass, enhance your strength and your visual shape. Best of luck!

ETA: I'm 52, 5'10", started at 279 lbs with a BMI of 40.
  • jee_nee_us
    Options
    You can increase strength and help maintain existing muscle mass while in a deficit. It is very unlikely that you will build muscle mass though. Generally to build muscle mass you need a calorie surplus.

Thanks you.
  • jee_nee_us
    Options
    endubz wrote: »
    Go for it! Overweight beginners will have no problem getting stronger while on a deficit. I would avoid eating at a large deficit though. Keep the weight loss slow and sustainable.

Thank you
  • jee_nee_us
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »

Personally, having dropped ~100 lbs myself, I strongly (no pun intended) recommend a lifting program while you are dropping that weight ... to help you retain your muscle mass, enhance your strength and your visual shape. Best of luck!

Did you follow the stronglifts routine during your weight loss?
  • Heart_Rock
    Heart_Rock Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I did it i went from 297lb to 246lb in 4 months using 5x5 and a caloric deficit , and im still going. It will be tough at times. The way i went was to do intermittent fasting every day, from 8pm to 1pm the next day. I train at about 11-12 and that allows me to have a good post training meal and keeps me full until dinner at about half 7pm. I found that this is what worked for worked for me.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    jee_nee_us wrote: »
    flatlndr wrote: »

Did you follow the stronglifts routine during your weight loss?

I did not. I started my programme with knee problems, which made me reluctant to do dead lifts and squats, so my initial lifting was focused on the upper body. For the legs, it was more walking and later, elliptical. I'm now doing squats, started with just bodyweight, and now adding some weight. I'm taking the legs slowly, given the knee issues. My full story can be found here.