Tips please Weighing in

Options
Tips please should I way in daily or weekly, I've done good all week then went to a fundraiser dinner (I thought I ate well) and this morning I'm up 1.4lbs it gets me down

Replies

• punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log it on the libra app. This let's me see the overall trend. I only put the weigh in on Sunday evenings on mfp tho. It's normal for there to be a few pounds difference day to day and you can't let that get you down. As long as the overall trend is downwards, that's all that matters.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    weight is not linear. one meal would not make you gain 1.4 pound ANYWAYS....

its probably the sodium from your dinner. lol

i weigh once a week, otherwise i get mad at my scale. i still get mad sometimes, but at least its not as frequent LOL
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Do daily ONLY if you can 100% handle seeing it go up and down. Like callsitlikeiseeit said, since you ate out last night you're probably retaining sodium from the meal. Even weekly will give you ups and downs as well.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    While one meal can cause you to gain a few pounds, those pounds can disappear quickly as well. Whether you weight daily or weekly doesn't matter. The important thing is that the high end and the low end of any fluctuations are moving in the downward direction over time.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day as I like to see the fluctuations. If I weigh once a week and see a gain I'm going to be thinking about it all week. If I weigh every day I have seen that if you loose one day you are likely to gain a bit back the next then loose again the day after.

for example I was 11 st 2 on Friday (yay!) 11st 4 Saturday (boo!) and 11 st 00 this morning (double yay!!)
  • RBillard
    RBillard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i used to weigh on mondays but since Sunday dinner with the family is such a ritual where i live, i was almost always up a couple pounds from all the sodium and starchy carbs. Now I weigh in on Fridays so i can get my weekly cheat meal at the end of a long week, and then have a full week to burn if off. less disappointment on the scale that way.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, because I understand the fluctuations are completely natural. Seeing them daily just reminds me of that, and I just have a mini celebration each time I see a new low number. (Like today!) I don't like to weigh in weekly, because if that's an "up" day, I might have hit a new low during the week and missed it! I take each new low as progress and each upward fluctuation as just part of the proCESS. I typically bounce up and down around the two same numbers for a week or two at a time, and then all of a sudden I'll have a mini streak of small losses for a few days. I celebrate! Then I bounce up and down around that new number. I'm patient, wait, and pretty soon the bouncing stops for a few days and I get another mini streak of losses. This also helps me see that high sodium days or certain foods make me retain water. So I can predict pretty easily when I'm going to be up. Knowing it is just water makes it okay..... Sometimes I can't help but get impatient when I haven't seen a new low in a while, but I take it as a reminder to stay focused and keep going. Quitting sure won't help!
  • davefh0_0
    davefh0_0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys, all the help helps with the motivation
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    davefh0_0 wrote: »
    Tips please should I way in daily or weekly, I've done good all week then went to a fundraiser dinner (I thought I ate well) and this morning I'm up 1.4lbs it gets me down

I weigh weekly seeing as that I'm trying to loose. I know logically that weight fluctuates but it doesn't matter if I feel like crap about it! Once I hit goal weight though I think I'll switch to daily weights to keep on top of any gaining trends.