Weight Training

Options
Hey guys,
Okay so i've currently lost 33lbs and I weigh 296lbs. I've been going to the gym everyday and have been doing around 40-60mins of cardio. However, I would like to incoporate some weight training in my workouts to build some muscle. So i'm wondering if there's any weight training routines out there that I can follow? I've looked but I can't seem to find any that support weight loss. Also, do you think I should even be doing weight training, or should I drop a few more pounds first? I'm very new to this and just looking for some good advice.

Thanks for any help guys.

Replies

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's a good idea to start weight training as soon as possible as it helps maintain the lean muscle mass you have. When you lose weight, you don't only lose fat, you lose muscle as well - especially doing a lot of high intensity cardio - weight training helps you maintain what you have.

Stronglifts 5x5 is an excellent program for people new to lifting weights. All weight training promotes weight loss so long as you are eating fewer calories than you use in a day. Building muscle on a deficit can't really happen, because in order to build muscle you need energy, and if you aren't even consuming enough calories for regular, everyday activities (i.e. eating at a deficit to lose weight) than you definitely aren't eating enough to build new muscle.

What you want is to maintain the muscle you have while you lose weight, so that when you do get to your goal weight you aren't what people call "skinny fat" (you still have a high bf% but you are a smaller version of yourself, just not very muscular due to the muscle loss that happened alongside the fat loss if you don't do anything to try and maintain muscles). So if you start following a weight lifting program now, and incorporate some HIIT, the weight might come off a little slower (due to you maintaining more muscle mass) but the inches should still be coming off at a good pace, which is a better way to measure your progress anyways.
  • shabazhussain522
    shabazhussain522 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks I'll take a look at the 5x5 program