Scale Question

Options
So I've been very happy with my progress and have been seeing a trend of loss over the past 2 months, but I think my scale might need to be replaced. I was wondering if this was normal for anyone else? I weigh at pretty much the same time of day everyday, just to see fluctuations, but the thing is I don't usually see day to day fluctuations. My scale reads the exact same weight, to the tenth of a gram every day for a few days straight before dropping down. This week it was the same weight for 5 days straight before I lost a pound and have been consistently at this new weight now for 3 days. I just wanted to know if other people see this or if I need to be looking in to getting a new scale.

Thanks! Sorry if it seems like a stupid question, I just hear a lot about daily fluctuations and I don't seem to be seeing it so I'm starting to question the scale's accuracy.

Replies

• Andreake08
    Andreake08 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I just got a Tanita BC-730 through Amazon... Have not received it yet, but looks promising... :D

I need something that measures even the intensity of my eye color, so to speak, lol... :D

Check online I would say! :D
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I would get a new one. It really shouldn't be the exact same every time. Beware, though. I got a new scale because mine only worked when it wanted to, and the New one says I'm 3 lbs heavier that my old scale. I miss my old scale! Lol
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you haven't, maybe change the battery/batteries and see if that has an affect?

If that doesn't do the trick then perhaps it is time for a new scale.

~Lyssa
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Lol, thanks Brans34! I know my weight won't be the same between scales, sadly which is why I'm hesitating in the first place, ugh. I guess I might just have to bite the bullet and get a new one.
  • Smallc10
    Options
    Also I totally meant tenth of a lb, not gram
  • Smallc10
    Options
    Tinabob that's interesting! I'll have to see if it is one of those. I think I'm going to be replacing it. Time to do some scale research!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A scale is just a tool to gauge progress. Ultimately the real results isn't the number on the scale, but how your clothes fit, and your body fat % and how you look. Many people reach goal weight and just look like a smaller version of their former self. Others reach it with just dieting alone and are happy with how "soft" their body feel (no muscle tone).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    LOL, sounds like my scale. It will give me the same weight over and over. But, mine I can trick into actually working. We have a step stool in the bathroom for my daughter so she can reach the sink, it's a 10 lb wooden one. I grab that and step on the scale and it gives me a number. When I step back on the scale without the stool, it actually weighs me and gives me my real weight again.
    It's setup to make it look more precise. Because people all think their scale is broken when they get on it ten times a day and it always says something different. So, yeah, try getting on the scale holding something around ten lbs, let it weigh you, then get back on again without that weight and I bet it gives you the right number.. lol
  • Smallc10
    Options
    jennifer - I'm going to try that! Thanks for the suggestion! I really don't want to go buy a new scale if I don't have to because it seems like a waste of money if mine is working 'correctly'
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Smallc10 wrote: »
    jennifer - I'm going to try that! Thanks for the suggestion! I really don't want to go buy a new scale if I don't have to because it seems like a waste of money if mine is working 'correctly'

It'll probably work so long as your scale isn't one that saves multiple users. Otherwise, it will create a second user.. lol I think for scales, sometimes the more basic the digital the better.

• GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I bought my scale off Amazon - all the reviews said it was consistent (which to me was a perk as my old scale never gave the same reading twice).

The reviews were correct, it is consistent... however..
    When you step on it the first time the weight is higher then if you let it reset and stand on it again. At that point, it never changes from the second value.

It's supposed to measure weight, body fat, hydration, muscle and bone mass... but I'm too lazy to figure that out.

http://www.amazon.ca/Ozeri-Touch-Total-Scale-White/dp/B004NXUAXW
  • Smallc10
    Options
    Pu - the issue is if it is not weighing accurately. Sure it says I'm losing weight but if I can't trust any of the readings who is to say I actually am? And yes it does bug me. I use to calibrate scales for a living and trusting that just because it says I'm losing weight in a VERY odd way doesn't really work for me. I was just curious if this was an issue with the scale or if other people found this to be the case.

Who cares if I want to weigh myself accurately? That's not the question I'm asking.

And just FYI to everyone - I'm not worried about the number on the scale but it is NICE to know that you can trust a piece of equipment in your house. I also take measurements and mainly go off of those. However, that isn't what I'm asking about, thank you.

P.S. I lift weights so I'm actually trying to not lose weight quickly seeing as I want to maintain muscle mass so yes, it is helpful to have something that will tell me if I'm losing slowly as opposed to just seeing giant jumps. It's just useful to have a scale work like a scale should.
  • orlandodenise
    orlandodenise Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ive got a WW scale and if my weight doesnt change by like more than half a pound - it just weighs the same ! I recalibrate by getting the kids to weigh themselves or I pick up a 4 pound pot and it then weighs properly! Rather rubbish actually - im going to change soon