Recipe Makeover-Chocolate Banana Smoothie

All of us like dessert. But most things that come to mind when you think of desserts, like chocolate ice cream, are extra high in fat and calories. Is your familys sweet tooth getting in the way of your healthy eating plan? Try this delicious chocolate banana smoothie recipe instead of a bowl of chocolate ice cream, you'll be helping your family stay on track with their eating goals and satisfying their sweet tooth at the same time!

Time Saver Tips
This Recipe is ready in 5 minutes. Its a great way to use up ripe bananas, just slice up the banana, spread out the slices on a baking sheet, and put in the freezer for about an hour. Then just put the frozen slices in a zip lock bag and store in the freezer.

Before and After
Information for a bowl of chocolate ice cream compared to this healthier chocolate dessert is: (note that the serving size for the chocolate smoothie is twice as big as the serving of ice cream, but still has alot of less fat and calories!)

Before After
Serving Size 1/2 cup 1 cup
Calories per serving 260 252
Fat per serving 14 Grams 2 Grams
% of calories from fat 48% 7%

RICH AND CREAMY CHOCOLATE AND BANANA SMOOTHIE
(makes 2 servings -1 cup serving size)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup 1% skim milk
2 tblsp chocolate syrup, such as Hersheys brand
1 sliced banana , frozen
1 carton low-fat vanilla yogurt (8oz size)
*if you dont have a frozen banana ready, use a regular banana and add 4 ice cubes

Directions:
1.) Pour the milk into a blender.
2.) Add the remaining ingredients
3.) Blend until smooth
4.) ENJOY!!!

*other dessert ideas; there are many healthy dessert options. Try any of these to satisfy your family's sweet tooth while keeping fat and calories under control.
1.) vanilla frozen yogurt topped with fresh fruit, such as strawberries, bananas,blueberries,mangoes,or apples with a sprinkle of cinnamon
2.) Angel food cake with strawberries
3.) Chocolate pudding or a fudgesicle

Replies

• FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Yummy!!
  • tripledipped13
    tripledipped13 Posts: 78 Member
    bump for later :smile:
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    If you use dark chocolate almond milk or chocolate almond milk you don't need to use the chocolate syrup. I make this for my kids and they love it. I throw in some PB2 or peanut butter for what they then call a Reese's peanut butter cup.
  • coffee4me57
    coffee4me57 Posts: 195
    Instead of chocolate syrup, I use cocoa powder.