HEalthy, wheat free and protein rich diet on £10 a week.

Options
greenfirearm
greenfirearm Posts: 120 Member
Hi,

I need to start making meals for one, that are healthy and relatively low in wheat-based products (not allergic, but I find I lack a lot of energy when I live off pasta/rice/bread (where these are making up 70-80% of my daily calories).

I live in the UK, and just want to know if anyone's got any good ideas for low-calorie, high fibre and high protein meals? Thanks a bunch (y).

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Not much advice in the way of meals, but most independent butchers will do good deals on boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I get mine by the 5kg tub.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    lentils + rice is a quick, affordable and nutritious meal.
  • webrat_jen
    webrat_jen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    a bag of black beans can be soaked overnight, then rinsed, fresh water added and then boiled for about an hour till tender, and then frozen so that you can add as needed to pasta, salads, stirfrys, stews, soups and more for an extra kick of protein for not very much money at all.
    i also make black-bean brownies, which are low in fat too, and taste pretty good even if i do say so myself.
  • CarbingTemptation
    CarbingTemptation Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely recommend shopping at Aldi if there's one near you. Prices can't be beat but available products depends on the store. Fruit and veg are some of the cheapest I've seen - I find grocers and market stalls aren't so cheap.
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about prices over there, but veggies will always give a nice amount of fiber, also legumes... They shouldn't be that expensive either, also if you don't like pasta consider quinoa. It's delicious, rich in nutrients, adn although it might seem expensive, a little bit lasts a long time....:)
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Lidl and aldi are your best bets. Also bulk buy and freeze when you can, for example atm most supermarkets are doing offers on joints of meat. If you cook, then freeze into portions will work out cheaply for you xx