I gained!?!?

Options
hello,
About a year and a half ago I started my weight loss journey, lost around 50 pounds. I started running around a year ago, and slacked off this winter, ended up gaining a couple of pounds. However for the last month or so I got really serious again, lost the couple pounds, and hit the gym really hard, started training for a half marathon.

Stepped on the scale this morning and I gained a pound from last weeks weigh in!

So frustrated!!!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your food also?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If you took a second or two to scroll through the threads or used the search function you would quickly discover that weight fluctuations are normal ... as is water retention as part of glycogen replenishment and muscle repair following exercise.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Gaining/losing a pound is just a part of your usual weight fluctuation, especially for women when you consider our monthly cycle. So long as the general trend is decreasing there's no need for alarm.

Measurements are generally a better way to measure progress than the scale, especially when you don't have a lot to lose.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    hello,
    About a year and a half ago I started my weight loss journey, lost around 50 pounds. I started running around a year ago, and slacked off this winter, ended up gaining a couple of pounds. However for the last month or so I got really serious again, lost the couple pounds, and hit the gym really hard, started training for a half marathon.

Stepped on the scale this morning and I gained a pound from last weeks weigh in!

So frustrated!!!

The bolded part is your answer. You hit the gym very hard, so your body is retaining water to aid in recovery from the big change in exercise. That, assuming your a maintaining your calorie deficit, is why you have gained weight. It is water weight and will go away over the next while.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Completely normal.
    Carry on.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates..its what happens. If you had weighed yourself yesterday, you might have been 2lbs lighter than you are today. Thats what fluctuations do...

Just keep doing what you do, and instead of stressing over the scale on a basis of what its doing from one week to the next, look at your data over 3 - 4 weeks at a time. Or weigh in more often to get a better idea of what your body is doing during the week. but dont let 1 lb freak you out. For some people, thats the difference in their weight between 9am and 2pm.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I started weighing and tracking daily so that I can see the fluctuations throughout the week. I only plug it into myfitnesspal on Fridays. It helps me to see the actual numbers throughout the week. I like having the data, but I know for some people that is too much information.
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It's a pound. You need to give it a few weeks to see if you really gained as weight changes all the time.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I really hope you aren't serious. Body weight fluctuates (I weigh myself everyday and the standard deviation of my weight is 1.44 pounds).

You could have lost a couple pounds of fat/gained a couple pounds of fat...who knows. It's two data points. You are looking for a long term trend and as long as the trend is going down then it's all good.
  • babyweight331
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Also if it's okay I'm going to send some friend request to you guys! Thank you so much. I guess I was just disappointed because I felt I should have lost a pound or two instead of gaining. I do notice when I hit the gym the next day the scale does go up. Thanks again!