Protein shakes diet

Options
Hi ya!

Lately, I can't stop thinking about protein shakes. I see incredible stories and awesome bodies made of "protein diets", constantly.

I would LOVE to know every personal opinion and experience so I could clear my mind.

concern:
- #1: protein shakes - yes or no?
- #2: one PS per day + normal diet?
- #3: three PSs per day + two healthy meals under 300kcal? [protein world diet plan]

Thank you all :)

xxxx

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Or just eat real food if you have no problem meeting your protien needs through solids.
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1 protein smoothie a day. It's a good way for me to get some raw fruits and veggies in. I normally hate eating them, but love my smoothies.

I think 3 a day is overboard.

• Spurry05
    Spurry05 Posts: 113 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use PHD Diet whey on a morning as I'm not really a morning person take little time to make but I boost it to a 350 calories breakfast shake add oats yogurt and water

What I use is in my plan photo below
    Screenshot_2015-03-29-20-14-162.jpg
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If you want to drink your calories - they are fine. You can replace as many meals and/or snacks as you would like with protein drinks.

Results are not from the protein shakes - they aren't magic. The results are from eating at a deficit and moving more. For many people, switching to a protein shake for a meal or two replaces a higher calorie option...which means less calories. Less calories = weight loss.

Personally, I prefer to eat my calories though I do occasionally have a protein shake. I like the body logix brand in chocolate (purely for its taste).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a protein smoothie everyday for lunch. But i wouldn't call it low calorie as i add other ingredients. I don't have it for weight loss though. I do it because i love the taste, it helps get my protein in and it's easier to get my wheatgerm, chia seeds, raw eggs, fibre powder and spinach into one condensed meal.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    mp3q3lxmzxkm.png

I also add almond coconut milk- 68 calories
    chia seeds and wheatgerm - 105 calories

So all up it's around 700 calories, but it does keep me full for hours, and i don't have breakfast so it fits into my calories
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Swiss Chocolate protein drink usually weekday mornings for breakfast. I'm not a breakfast person nor am I usually one to want to sit and eat in the morning so they work for me to keep me satisfied until lunch time. I also work odd hours each day so yeah. I don't see why you can't use them if you want to use them.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    There's nothing magic about protein drinks. If you like them and want to substitute for one of your meals, do it. I wouldn't recommend replacing more than one (or occasionally two) meals with drinks unless that's how you plan to live your life long term. Part of the process of losing weight is learning how to eat real food in a healthy way
  • ccaa2003
    ccaa2003 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a great way to get the extra protein you need in your diet. But depending on the amount of exercise u put in in a day you most likely wont need more than one or two per day.
  • jonnie256
    jonnie256 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I drink a muscle milk protein shake everyday for breakfast. It's a good way to start the day.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If you can get your protein in whole foods, there is no need for protein shakes. They aren't magic
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    - If you have an appropriate protein goal and can meet it with your regular food then no.
    - If you have an appropriate protein goal and can't meet it with your regular food then yes.
    -
    - #2: one PS per day + normal diet?-
    - See answer above.
    -
    - #3: three PSs per day + two healthy meals under 300kcal? [protein world diet plan]
    - Awful idea, dreadfuly unbalanced diet.

The "incredible stories and awesome bodies" you see are much more likely to be a result of hard work in the gym over a long period of time. Protein shakes are just a protein rich liquid food, that's all.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Having a shake as a meal replacement is not something you can do for life or should do or should even want to do. Its not sustainable. There are plenty of plant and animal based delicious proteins you can eat.

Also consider, are the people who are on a "protien diet " selling the shakes. If so...its a trap
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    - If you have an appropriate protein goal and can meet it with your regular food then no.
    - If you have an appropriate protein goal and can't meet it with your regular food then yes.
    -
    - #2: one PS per day + normal diet?-
    - See answer above.
    -
    - Awful idea, dreadfuly unbalanced diet.

The "incredible stories and awesome bodies" you see are much more likely to be a result of hard work in the gym over a long period of time. Protein shakes are just a protein rich liquid food, that's all.

+1

Do you know how many grams of protein your body needs a day? Do you know how many you consume on average? Are you counting calories?

CI<CO is how you lose weight. Don't fall victim to marketing strategies.
  • Spurry05
    Options

esjones12 wrote: »
    CO<CO

What's that
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    CO<CO

What's that

It's a typo for CI<CO.

The calories you consume (CI) need to be less than the calories you burn (CO) in order to lose weight.

People who use My Fitness Pal to lose weight use it to count calories, so they can make sure they are eating less calories than they burn.
  • Spurry05
    Options
    Thank you cals in cals out got it :)
  • cazzaisdabest
    cazzaisdabest Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hiya. Have been doing protein world for 19 days... First week most 7lbs, second week 1lb and have lost one more as of this morning. So 9lbs in 19 days. I'm pretty happy with this. 2x shakes a day with 1% milk and then a bowl of weetabix for dinner with 1% milk. Calorie intake a day about 1100kcals and going to the gym for 50mins a day everyday!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake a couple mornings a week for breakfast. For me they are quick, convenient and I can drink it on the way to work. They satisify my sweet tooth and I get some veggies in as well. They aren't low cal because I add additional ingredients. I wouldn't want to do it three times a day cause I like to eat.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hiya. Have been doing protein world for 19 days... First week most 7lbs, second week 1lb and have lost one more as of this morning. So 9lbs in 19 days. I'm pretty happy with this. 2x shakes a day with 1% milk and then a bowl of weetabix for dinner with 1% milk. Calorie intake a day about 1100kcals and going to the gym for 50mins a day everyday!

What happens after you stop doing protein world?