Backyard BBQ

Options
punkrockpickles
punkrockpickles Posts: 29 Member
We are finally getting some decent weather here in Washington this weekend and are planning on having my fiance's family over for a BBQ. Now usually we would do potato salad, burgers, chips that sort of thing, but i have a feeling you guys know some low cal and unique recipes for some delicious alternatives...? I was thinking something of doing fruit kabobs, or something... anyone have any other ideas on healthy ways to BBQ? we dont want to wreak our streak of healthy eating, but we also want his family to enjoy the food. Thanks = )

Replies

• flwyland
    flwyland Posts: 142
    Options
    We're grilling on Sunday because of the nice weather turn here on the "dry side" of the Cascades. On the menu are grilled salmon, lean steak for the meat eaters, grilled asparagus, grilled pineapple spears, grilled butternut, brown rice dressed up with green onions & diced tomatoes & herbs. I can't wait. It's all delicious.
  • mrspyle
    mrspyle Posts: 19
    Options
    Grilling is such a great way to prepare food! Utilize it! Grilled fruit kabobs are awesome, grilled corn, baked/grilled potatoes or sweat potatoes in stead of potato salad, just use light sour cream etc. and replace chips with veggies! Try grilling a firm/oily fish with "summer flavor" seasonings. Make sure you measure and that's enough food for a meal =]
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    One idea to have for you to munch on instead of chips it is called Chee Cha Puffs, they are crunchy like a chip but super low in everything. Also fruit is a great idea for sweets. I used to also make a whole wheat pasta salad with light mayo and vingear and dill for dressing and shrimp or crab plus peppers, avocado (add it at the end as stirring will mush it)

Whole wheat buns for the burgers is a good idea too if you are going that route. Everything doesn't have to be perfectly low cal but little changes can make it a bit better and that way your guests can enjoy the benefits as well.

Have fun! I am also hoping for good weather up in Vancouver BC, we are going to the Metric concert outdoors on saturday and so I have my fingers crossed!
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    We are finally getting some decent weather here in Washington this weekend and are planning on having my fiance's family over for a BBQ. Now usually we would do potato salad, burgers, chips that sort of thing, but i have a feeling you guys know some low cal and unique recipes for some delicious alternatives...? I was thinking something of doing fruit kabobs, or something... anyone have any other ideas on healthy ways to BBQ? we dont want to wreak our streak of healthy eating, but we also want his family to enjoy the food. Thanks = )

I am in Portland, so I understand that you and I are finally getting some better weather. I gave up on marinades. Lot's of sugar in most of them. I brush my meat (steak, chicken, whatever) with Olive oil and then sprinkle on some homade rub. Let sit for about 4 hours and then grill.

It's not usually the protein that kills you anyway. It's the side dishes and the cocktails. Avoid the potato salads, macaroni salads and breads. Cut back on the beer.

Enjoy the weekend. Looks like summer is finally coming to the Pacific NorthWest.