Gym Tips? (Strength Training)

Options
I just joined Gold's Gym - I've never had a gym membership before.

I'm a little nervous - not about people looking at me, or judging me, but about doing something wrong in the free weight area. I'm currently doing Stronglifts 5x5 modified for dumbbells, so I'm starting fresh after my "assessment".

Any tips? Advice? Get-over-your-fear-already tough love?

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,538 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this applies to Gold's Gym or not, but quite often when you first join a gym you get 1-3 complimentary (aka free) instruction periods with a personal trainer who can help show you the ropes to how to use different lifts or equipment. Worth asking, what's the worst they can say, no? Then you're no worse off than you are now.

My first year or so of lifting I had to get over my psychological conviction that I can't lift weights, I'm not strong enough, that's not me. So, I reinvented myself in the gym. I wore sunglasses, my workout attire was bright colors (I normally wear blue and black), I listened to heavy metal in my IPOD (normally country). I literally wasn't me when I lifted, I was somebody else, somebody stronger and more sure of himself.

After a while the sunglasses left and I looked at ME in the mirror, but the rest stayed, along with my new confidence.
  • TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Youtube proper form on all your lifts. I always refer to the book, starting strength: basic barbell training for form. It's like the bible for lifting. Once you know the basics. You'll probably be able to correct most "personal trainers". Gotta be your own advocate.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Thank you both :)
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I go to Gold's as well. When I began I did get a free session with a trainer. If you get that, tell them what you want to learn.

I personally am still freaked out by the free weight area--both because I am afraid I will do it wrong, and because there are all these incredibly disgusting men there, who are super bulky, constantly grunting, and throwing weights to the floor when they finish. Instead, I do the weight machines (that have instructions right on them). I know a combo workout is better but for now, this is what I'm comfortable doing.

Good luck.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Establish good, attainable goals. Commit to them. Then really dive in and give your all to meet them. Have a path, have a plan, and once you’re past that one, set another one. Progression, patience and persistence.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    They are giving me an hour with a trainer, so I feel MUCH better now. It'll be nice to have someone there to check my form.

I also did purchase Starting Strength, so I'll be informed, too.

• SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the others. No one is really watching you or even paying much attention. You may get a few looks in the beginning just for being a female lifter in the predominantly male section but if you continue to show up day in and day out, you will see the regulars. I have actually managed to get to know a few of the regulars in the free weight section which has come in handy as the lifts get heavier and I workout without a partner 99.9% of the time.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you have flexibility in your scheduling, ask the front desk when their peak and non-peak hours are. My gym is a nightmare in the evening, but early mornings are very quiet. I've never literally been the only woman in the free weight section, but I'm always one of the only ones. It's actually kind of fun. And don't be intimidated by the big bulky guys. They're typically the nicest, most helpful people in the gym.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Just going in with a plan, whether it is SL5x5 or Starting Strength, or any other program, will help you out. I'd list out what, exactly, you'd like the trainer to help you with and then take that with you on that day. Once you relax and get into the swing of things you will probably learn a bit more by observing others and then you'll find yourself looking up what are doing (or seem to be doing) online to learn more about the exercises.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Just to be clear, I'm not worried in the least about other people or what they think of me. I'm worried most about my form and proper gym/weight etiquette.

And I do have pretty good schedule flexibility, so I'll be in mid-morning most days.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If your not sure about your form get a pt session
    otherwise, just dont like steal roidboys dumbells or anything and you should escape fully intact ;)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    roidboy, what's that?
    a poster here? a friend of yours?

just a joke, steroids supposedly can cause violent outbursts so the super big angry dude at the gym

• klsana00
    klsana00 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try a bodypump class. I found it a good bridge into the free weight area of the gym
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    In general, use the equipment for the exercise(s) it's intended (as in, don't curl in the squat rack, or at least don't do it during peak hours when other people may be waiting to squat), and don't set yourself up in a way that cuts off someone else's access to equipment you're not using (don't stand directly in front of the dumbbell rack to do your curls so other people can't get around you, don't use a bench just as a towel holder, etc.).
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    In general, use the equipment for the exercise(s) it's intended (as in, don't curl in the squat rack, or at least don't do it during peak hours when other people may be waiting to squat), and don't set yourself up in a way that cuts off someone else's access to equipment you're not using (don't stand directly in front of the dumbbell rack to do your curls so other people can't get around you, don't use a bench just as a towel holder, etc.).

This is perfect, thank you!!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

Don't talk to someone mid-set.
    Don't walk in the path of their barbell or dumbbell (you'd think it was common sense)
    Don't stand 6in front of the dumbbell rack and do curls or lateral raises.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    roidboy, what's that?

just a joke, steroids supposedly can cause violent outbursts so the super big angry dude at the gym

I can't find the eye roll emoji
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    roidboy, what's that?

Go with a gif
    r9k88T6.gif
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    roidboy, what's that?

Go with a gif
    r9k88T6.gif

<3 RDJ
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    As far as being the new person in the weight section, it will be okay. There are tons of new people coming and going. A few may notice you as a new face, but that's usually about it. It sounds like lifting isn't completely foreign to you, so you are a few steps ahead of where I was when I started.

If all else fails and you aren't sure of something go ask "roidboy". Most people don't really enjoy being interrupted, but if they are in a rest period and the question is quick you should get a good answer.