Coffee!!!

Options
Hey, guys!

I'm somewhat of a caffiene addict (terrible, I know) but between working two jobs and going to college full time, sometimes I need a little extra kick to help get me through the day! However, I usually drink starbucks and don't want all the extra calories, two times a day. I don't drink black coffee so that's not really an option for me. Does anyone have good homemade coffee drink recipes, or even better, a way to just slowly stop drinking coffee so often all together? Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Yep....boil kettle, pour onto coffee, add milk, done :)

I'm English and I don't get this American thing about creamers, half and half (whatever that is) and so on. We just add milk! It's not many calories, and still tastes like coffee.

I'm a mum of three young kids and a teacher, believe me I drink plenty of coffee.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just drink black coffee. But if you want to make a healthy coffee flavored drink, add skim milk and artificial sweetener to taste. This also makes good iced coffee.

You can order this at fivebucks too.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    It's all relative.

Buy a good decaff instant and put a splash of milk or coconut or almond milk. If you have 2/3 a day it's a delicious treat. You'll soon forget about the 'desserts' you used to spend a fortune on at Starbucks.
  • Fizbi
    Fizbi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Try a flavored coffee and experiment with the dosage. In the mornings I make a strong blend. Later in the day, I tend to water it down a tad. Still have the flavor, but without the strength. Keeps me going while on the road. I make enough for two thermos bottles and it saves me a load of cash.
  • ciarajordan13
    ciarajordan13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm a computer geek, so drinking coffee and lots of it is almost part of my job description.

I drink skinny lattes if I'm buying coffee. Not as creamy as some options, but with all that milk in compensates for the lack of cream.

At home I buy really good quality coffee and make it half water and half skimmed milk.

The thing is to try and find a coffee you really like the taste of, so then you won't need lots of sugar/syrup/cream. And make the milk the healthiest you can.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of coffee too and I eased my way into drinking it black. When I started, I always added cream and sugar, but eventually cut the sugar and just used a flavored creamer (which is still full of sugar), but then eventually switched to just skim milk, and now I drink it black.
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Small/tall hazelnut coffee with a bit of skim milk. ~12-50 calories. My go to used to be a tall skinny hazelnut latte, 110-120 calories, but I'm trying to get away from all the milk/calories.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a milk and honey latte every now and then. But learning to enjoy it black is always a good idea. Good coffee makes a huge difference!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't drink black coffee so that's not really an option for me.

Maybe not immediately, but it's a good long term goal. Up to 3 cups of coffee per day is fine, the problem is all the stuff people put into it. So try to very slowly work your way toward black coffee.

One day maybe you'll look back and wonder how you used to drink coffee with all that disgusting stuff added into it!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Yep....boil kettle, pour onto coffee, add milk, done :)

I'm English and I don't get this American thing about creamers, half and half (whatever that is) and so on. We just add milk! It's not many calories, and still tastes like coffee.

I'm a mum of three young kids and a teacher, believe me I drink plenty of coffee.

High five.

I still have no idea what on earth a coffee creamer is.

OP, I can't see any reason a coffee shop coffee has to be calorie laden unless you get one of those sickly dessert coffee monstrosities.

Even Starbucks does a bearable cappuccino.

Or how about one of these...

http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/brewed-coffee/cafe-misto

Or get yourself a cafetiere and make some nice coffee at home.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I drink 16 ounces of coffee with a tablespoon or two of half and half. I drink that 4-6 times a day. The last one might be decaf or might be flavored. I alternate with 16 oz of water and drink 32 ounces of water during my workouts at the gym. (Yesterday I drank 104 ounces of water.)

Caffeine is only a problem if you have some kind of heart rhythm problem. If you don't have a cardiologist, you can have all the caffeine you want.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had the same opinion about black coffee. Eventually I switched to 2% milk with artificial sweetener to save calories, but then just said screw it and tried it black. I really didn't like it black at first, but now I actually dislike my coffee with anything in it. That was 3 years ago I made the switch. When I go to starbucks I just get the Pike's Place brew black. My favourite!

Give it a try! Good quality coffee really tastes awesome all on its own.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Just learn to drink coffee like an adult and don't put anything in it.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I add splenda and cream to my coffee for a whopping 60 cals per cup ;) I've worked down from ~4 cups a day to just 1 cup right away in the morning. I just kept cutting out my latest cup of coffee until I just had the wake-up cup left. I found that drinking coffee til 4 or 5 pm made it pretty hard to get to sleep at midnight, haha.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You can use a flavored coffee creamer for about 35 calories. Add a packet of sweetener if not sweet enough. I love the bailey's.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Americano with lots of nonfat milk is one of my staples. Especially iced because it takes the edge off the strong taste.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I take my coffee with just a splash of milk and no sugar. Try decreasing the amount of creamer/sugar you add a little at a time. I'm sure you will get used to it over time. Good luck!
  • ciarajordan13
    Options
    Thanks all for your input!! Glad I'm not the only one with this problem. :) never really thought about getting just a better quality coffee to drink black!
  • ciarajordan13
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Just learn to drink coffee like an adult and don't put anything in it.

Not sure how this comment was helpful in any way....or necessary, for that matter.