Running in street clothes

Options
So I know we have all seen it.

Your driving down the street (or running) and you see a fella running at a slow and steady pace but he's wearing jeans.

at first you have that thought of WTF? Then you try to figure out if he's running from something or if he has somewhere he needs to be in a hurry. Usually that's not the case and they are just running for exercise.

How hard is it to throw on a pair "workout" type shorts or sweats? I just cannot wrap my head around it.

Anyone here prefer to run in Jorts and a Polo?

Replies

• KikiD22
    KikiD22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That's just like the guy at my gym that works out, daily, in a polo shirt and khaki cargo shorts. I just see him and go, "Huh?" I do give him credit for being there as often as I am, which is 6 days a week.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Does it matter what someone wears? It's their loss if they don't change into clothes that are more appropriate and comfortable for working out. To each his own.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Yesterday I saw a women running in a dress. She had what appeared to be some sort of walking boots, so she must have changed her shoes before hitting the trail. It wasn't even a cute dress. It was a long t shirt-like dress with horizontal stripes. We smiled at each other, so she seemed nice in that 2 seconds I was judging her outfit.
  • Devilbat
    Devilbat Posts: 14
    Options
    I don't see the problem? If it's comfortable and easy to move in, it works for me. :/ *shrug* I guess I don't see the allure of spending extra money on 'cute workout clothes' just so I can sweat in them when a basic t-shirt and shorts/sweats would work just fine.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my favorite are those people i see in foot races, moving in the direction of the crowd and who are in street clothes and carrying plastic bags like they did some shopping, and then found themselves in the middle of a 10K and decided "what the hell, i'll do this" :laugh:
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well, if I see someone bicycling in street clothes, I think that they lost their driver's license and need to ride the bike to get from A to B.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Whatever makes you comfortable. But I'm a skinny jean kinda girl so I can't imagine my range of motion would be enough to run properly, haha. Jeggings, maybe- they're as stretchy as my workout capris.

I almost bought a Lululemon running skirt the other day but then I wondered what the point was when I have shorts. More coverage?
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem? If it's comfortable and easy to move in, it works for me. :/ *shrug* I guess I don't see the allure of spending extra money on 'cute workout clothes' just so I can sweat in them when a basic t-shirt and shorts/sweats would work just fine.

So when you run in jeans does it chaf the inside of your legs?

Just curious....
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine working out in anything but wicking material anymore, that's got to feel disgusting, but I guess if you're ok with it, more power to you... What I don't get is when I see people running in flip flops. I know it's Texas and it's hot, but please, DON'T... You'll just hurt yourself in the end.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see a woman trying to jog in not only a dress but high heels as well.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    Options
    I can't imagine working out in anything but wicking material anymore, that's got to feel disgusting, but I guess if you're ok with it, more power to you... What I don't get is when I see people running in flip flops. I know it's Texas and it's hot, but please, DON'T... You'll just hurt yourself in the end.
    Like running for exercise in flip flops? WTH? I'm eagerly awaiting the day I see that one.

I played a round of Golf in flip flops before (used a kart obv). I was drunk though and forgot my socks and putting on my golf cleats without socks just didnt seem like a good idea at the time. I guess that's kinda weird.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    when we used to play street hockey in college we'd have this guy that would play occasionally and he'd always be wearing jeans. at first i thought it was just spontaneous...he saw us and decided to play...but it kept happening and he knew when and where we played. it made my head hurt thinking about why he would do that.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't care, except the dude in loafers and a dress shirt beats me in every race. That's a little discouraging.
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    just felt that this site really needed to be posted http://joggingjeans.com/
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    So True!! I see so many people running in street clothes, and I just don't get it. There's a guy I see almost every day jogging in jeans. I'm sure there is a reason, but it kind of cracks me up to see him.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    WARNING: You're most likely going to get a bunch of hostile "why do you care what other people wear?" posts from this one (these things rile certain people up for some reason) :laugh:

I think its weird too though. Back in January, I saw a guy at my gym in skinny jeans running on the track, and there's some of the cargo shorts, polo & leather belt dudes who come in there frequently too.....I just don't get it! If it was just random, I'd think maybe they forgot to pack workout clothes and didn't want to skip, but for some people its a regular thing.

I simply wouldn't be comfortable working out in jeans, unless its a bike ride in cooler weather maybe (and the jeans were really comfortable ones....)
  • caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    Options
    There is a guy in our area who likes to run 5ks in khakis. He always finishes in the top 3, usually he wins. Whatever works, I guess.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    Options
    WARNING: You're most likely going to get a bunch of hostile "why do you care what other people wear?" posts from this one (these things rile certain people up for some reason) :laugh:
    oh i was prepared for this. low and behold it came with the 2nd reply looool
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    I passed a guy when finishing my 10K run yesterday wearing jeans, hiking boots and a tshirt who was running. For exercise. He had his ipod and everything, just like me. Dear god, I just don't understand it. I get too hot in shorts and a dry-fit tshirt!
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    I find it weird too, but I often walk my dogs in jeans, and the walk sometimes turns into short bursts of running.

so far no chafing, but they do tend to fall down (which is a huge pain)

If I am planning on running, I definitely dress for it. It's far more comfortable.