Weight Watchers Rocks! :)

Options
Anyone else on Weight Watchers??? :)

Replies

• WeightLossGlow
    WeightLossGlow Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am!! I need an accountability buddy though because I've been slacking on counting my points and sticking to them recently!
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers is essentially the same thing as using MFP to track calories. It is just simpler, with calories being changed to corresponding points and you having a number of points to eat each day. MFP also allows tracking of macros (fats, proteins, carbs) so that you know you are eating a balanced diet instead of anything with a number.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    epawelek wrote: »
    Weight watchers is essentially the same thing as using MFP to track calories. It is just simpler, with calories being changed to corresponding points and you having a number of points to eat each day.

When I was on Weight Watchers I did lose weight but also got into the habit of bingeing on fruits/vegetables as these were either 'free' (no points) or the number of points didn't correspond to the number of calories the item has (e.g. apples).

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I don't think bingeing on veggies is a bad thing. Fruit might be a bit higher in calories and not helpful...but veggies are full of fiber & nutrients and are filling. Binge away on them.

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    epawelek wrote: »
    Weight watchers is essentially the same thing as using MFP to track calories. It is just simpler, with calories being changed to corresponding points and you having a number of points to eat each day. MFP also allows tracking of macros (fats, proteins, carbs) so that you know you are eating a balanced diet instead of anything with a number.

You can track macros such as Fat, Protien, and Carbs with WW as well. I use the WW point system and am able to track them along with Fiber too. The Point system is a well balanced diet also provided one is staying within the points that WW recommends for them.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Actual binging in any form isn't a good thing, doesn't matter what it's on.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers can be very useful for beginners -- and it does work if you follow it and don't try to cheat the system. I belonged 3 times -- early 70s, late 80s and the mid 00s. Each time, I lost a good deal of weight and it was very slow to come back on. But that's the thing, nothing works if you don't plan to keep it up. When you get tired of paying for Weight Watchers, heading over here to MFP is an easy transition. You won't need to change what you eat just how you count it.
  • FitPhillygirl
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I don't think bingeing on veggies is a bad thing. Fruit might be a bit higher in calories and not helpful...but veggies are full of fiber & nutrients and are filling. Binge away on them.

While It is true that Fruits and Veggies don't have a point value assigned to them, WW does not encourage their customers to binge out on them. They do have a healthy check system and do encourage people to follow their recommended 8 daily servings of fruits and veggies as well.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    WW is a good system that works....just like MFP. I liked WW for the meeting format, but prefer MFP for the simplicity of calorie counting. It's not about the $$$ for me as much as having the right tools handy.
  • DerROK
    DerROK Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Plz change the title from "Weight Watchers Rocks" to "anybody else doing it?". Very misleading....... So, rather that respond to the title (which is a NO btw), the answer to your real question is also NO because Weight Watchers do NOT Rock. Fox News did rate them tho as one of the few commercial diets that does help you lose weight, but the results were not very inspiring and they did not seem to be able to understand the difference between weight loss and fat loss.
  • wizzybeth
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think the macro tracking on MFP is way more complete than WW. There is more to nutrition than just fat, carbs, protein and fiber. I love the chart I can see (on the phone app; wish it were on the PC too!) at a glance - and see that I've hit or am close to hitting my goals for calcium, iron, vitamin c, potassium, and vitamin a, as well as fats, carbs, protein, and fiber.

That said - I did lose weight on the (old) WW system. It clearly works for people and people either love it or don't. :smile:

I just grew tired of paying $52 a month for that and the privilege of having someone weigh me and either pat me on the back or say "You'll do better this week..." LOL. I grew tired of the meetings when the same topics eventually recycled and came back up again. When it becomes a "chore" to go...it's time to stop spending the $$$.

I now spend a little less than that amount of money to go to the gym (including classes) and am loving it!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm on Weight Watchers right now and I'm enjoying it mainly because of the accountability and support of the real-life meetings. I mean I like coming here to MFP to see my MFP friends, but I like the WW meetings too. They're different and they're both good.

Another thing I like is that when I compare the nutritional facts of two foods, I'm at a loss as to which one is "better" because one may have more of one macro but less of another, and another may have the opposite, and it's frustrating trying to decide. The WW system sums it all up into one number that takes into account fat, carbs, protein and fiber, so it's a little easier to decide. The other factor I use in deciding is how "real" it is. If it's overly processed then I'm less inclined to choose that food, but that's just me.

Lastly, I'm just enjoying the online interfaces with WW. No offense to MFP, but it's just a smidgen more user friendly, so for me, it's a bit faster to log things - also if I put lemon juice in my water or eat an apple with lunch I know I don't have to log it, so that helps a lot too! :tongue:
  • AwesomeSauceTN
    AwesomeSauceTN Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My brother is working on his PhD in Dietetics and I asked him whether Weight Watchers is a good program. His words: "Crystal, don't walk away from Weight Watchers. Run!".

He does love MFP and encourages keeping a food journal because studies show people who keep track of what they eat and exercise will lose 3x more weight than someone who does not log.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I too have done WW several times and have lost weight each time. The accountability was great but I did not want to keep paying for what I could get free from MFP. When I did well I was glad to go and get on the scale but if I had a bad week I would not go but still had to keep paying. I still follow the plan though.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Too much of anything can be bad for you.

And anyway, you can eat all of the veggies in the world and you wouldn't lose weight if you're eating more calories than what your body needs to maintain.

So saying to binge away on veggies is actually pretty poor advice, IMO.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    The clothes in my closet are my accountability. I have size 16s I need to get into. Then I'm going to push for 14, then 12. Then see where we're at. Then once I get to my goal weight/size, every single thing that is too large is going to the thrift store, except for 1 pair of size 22 pants I'm keeping for a memento.

I will not buy larger clothes again. Ever. If my clothes get too "tight" then obviously I need to get back on track again. That's all the accountability I need. No sense paying $50+ a month for it.
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs on WW back in '08-'09...but...I was essentially doing the same thing as I am now on MFP, and I had to pay for it.

I didn't have luck with WW after pregnancy, because I binged on fruits & veggies. It took me a LONG time to get this through my head, because WW had taught me I could eat "as much" 0pts/Simply Filling foods as I want...but...my trainer told me, "6,000 calories of fruits and veggies is still 6,000 calories, no matter how many points they're worth." That's when it really clicked.

WW was fabulous before pregnancy. After pregnancy? I changed, my mind changed, everything changed. So, I guess it all depends on your mindset and self-control.
  • FitPhillygirl
    edited April 2015
    Options
    DerROK wrote: »
    Plz change the title from "Weight Watchers Rocks" to "anybody else doing it?". Very misleading....... So, rather that respond to the title (which is a NO btw), the answer to your real question is also NO because Weight Watchers do NOT Rock. Fox News did rate them tho as one of the few commercial diets that does help you lose weight, but the results were not very inspiring and they did not seem to be able to understand the difference between weight loss and fat loss.

The title is just fine so there is no need for it to be changed. I think the OP was speaking for him or herself and not for all. Do you have any studies that you could show that prove that WW does not understand the difference of weight loss and fat loss? Sorry but this part of your post doesn't make sense.
    health.usnews.com/best-diet/weight-watchers-diet
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    DerROK wrote: »

The title is just fine so there is no need for it to be changed. I think the OP was speaking for him or herself and not for all. Do you have any studies that you could show that prove that WW does not understand the difference of weight loss and fat loss? Sorry but this part of your post doesn't make sense.
    health.usnews.com/best-diet/weight-watchers-diet

I guess because you only get weighed in the meetings... they encourage you to measure yourself but it's basically about the scale only ! And if you do not lose on the programme, they don't really have a solution.
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My brother is working on his PhD in Dietetics and I asked him whether Weight Watchers is a good program. His words: "Crystal, don't walk away from Weight Watchers. Run!".

He does love MFP and encourages keeping a food journal because studies show people who keep track of what they eat and exercise will lose 3x more weight than someone who does not log.

did your brother give you any specifics ?