should I add calories back after working out

I am trying to gain muscle mass I was wondering should I eat back calories if I want to gain muscle mass, very confused about that?

Replies

• Chadillac8884
    Chadillac8884 Posts: 24 Member
    When I was lifting a lot and trying to get "big", i would always eat back my calories. Muscles need fuel, plain and simple. I was eating around 200-210 grams of protein per day (6'4" 275-280 lbs at that time) and about 100g were protein shakes. I could definitely tell that my muscles were getting larger in mass. I was eating lots of rice, pasta, chicken, turkey, seafood, and fruits and veggies. So..........eat right or as close to right as you can, switch up your lifting every 2 weeks or so (heavy weight/low reps) lower weight/higher reps), drink lots of water and tons of rest. you'll be aiiiiiight.
  • Krisfit40
    Krisfit40 Posts: 106 Member
    You dont need to worry about eating the calories specifically after a workout.. you just need to ensure that your are eating a caloric surplus for the entire day. At least 200-300 calories surplus.. Bodybuilding.com has calculators to help figure this number out.. Also you want to make sure your protiens and carbs are very high for mass building..
  • kate_baxter
    kate_baxter Posts: 7 Member
    agree with dollinger40 - but you need to ensure they are 'clean calories'.
    - First of all if you don't know your maintenance level head over to bodybuilding.com and make use of the calculators section.
    - Most people add 200-300 calories to their maintenance level to support muscle growth
    - Next you need to work out your macro split (depending on your goals).
    - there will always be some tweaking required in order to work out how your body works best.
    - Good luck
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Scooby's says you should eat at your TDEE in order to do recomposition, so yes, eat how much you exercise. But be aware that most machines (including MFP) generally overestimate calories burned, so it would be a good idea to only eat half. See what your weight & body fat do. If they're moving in the right direction, keep it up. If not, change something.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/bodybuilding-nutrition-made-simple/

http://scoobysworkshop.com/protein-calculator/
    "How much protein do you need to eat in order to build muscle? One gram of protein per
    pound of bodyweight per day is a good recommendation for athletes ... For over 8000
    foods, this calculator tells you how much you need to eat to get the protein you need to
    build muscle."
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Eat 500 cals over maintenance. Eat your exercise cals back.
    You know something's amiss if you're not gaining a pound a week.
    Eat .8g protein per pound of body weight.
    Fill the rest with ANY KIND of carbs and a good balance of fats.

You don't get extra points exceeding your minimum macro and micro goals. Ie don't overdo the health foods man, you'll get bloated and fed up.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Eat 500 cals over maintenance. Eat your exercise cals back.
    You know something's amiss if you're not gaining a pound a week.
    Eat .8g protein per pound of body weight.
    Fill the rest with ANY KIND of carbs and a good balance of fats.

You don't get extra points exceeding your minimum macro and micro goals. Ie don't overdo the health foods man, you'll get bloated and fed up.

This, you don't need to worry about "clean" eating, whatever that might be since it varies by the person, just get your calories back. If you are working out hard and not eating back your calories you will have problems fueling your workout and won't be bulking. Not everyone bulks easily either. I've just finally started to find that I need about 600 cals over each day to put on any weight in this bulk.

You'll probably need to play around with your numbers a bit but keep accurate logging and you'll get the idea soon enough.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    - First of all if you don't know your maintenance level head over to bodybuilding.com and make use of the calculators section.
    - Most people add 200-300 calories to their maintenance level to support muscle growth
    - there will always be some tweaking required in order to work out how your body works best.
    - Good luck

clean calories - whatever that is - has absolutely nothing to do with bulking.

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    - Good luck

Bro, this is why I've taken an extended absence from the forums... and I assume this is why you are locked up! The nonsense people write is getting out of hand. "clean calories"??? and as if a "macro split" really matters when bulking. Minimum dietary requirements for protein and fats, the rest carbs...
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    - Good luck

Bro, this is why I've taken an extended absence from the forums... and I assume this is why you are locked up! The nonsense people write is getting out of hand. "clean calories"??? and as if a "macro split" really matters when bulking. Minimum dietary requirements for protein and fats, the rest carbs...

We needs you! Don't leave us.....
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    - Good luck

Same here...seen JoRocka crated up as well recently. Getting to be a joke...
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member

198fecd6-picard-double-facepalm-gif-5917.gif
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    edited April 2015
    • Find your TDEE calories
    • Manually set your calorie goal in MFP (under the "Goals" section) to your TDEE + 300 more cals)
    • Make sure you log your all exercise cals
    • Eat until you are out of calories (this includes eating back the calories you earned from exercise)

If you don't gain weight (~1lbs) after two weeks (look at the weight trend, not the fluctuations from day to day), add +100 cals to your goal. Repeat until swole.

Obviously you need to be lifting during this process or you will just get fat.