8 glasses of water a day - this is hard

Options
Any tips on how to drink the recommend daily amount of water? I never really get thirsty and it's very hard to force all 8 glasses down throughout the day.

Replies

• Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself on the importance water, learn all it's functions in the human body. This will help.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Which also includes understanding that you get a lot of water from the food you eat and everything else you drink. You don't need 8 glasses of water every day.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I can down a 16 ounce glass of water in under 5 seconds. I don't force it down, I just pour it in. It's easier if it is room temperature.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I started adding True Lemon, True Grapefruit to my water bottles and it has made a tremendous difference.
  • KristinaG_is_losing_it
    Options
    Buy a tumbler or bottle that holds a good amount of water and fill that up a couple times of day. I have one that hold 24oz. I try to drink that 3x while I'm at work. I also drink water when I wake up (usually just 8oz or so) and I also work out after work so I have a bottle with me then. I will also usually have water to drink with my dinner. I second the advice about using water flavorings, I used to drink the mio and crystal lights and now I don't need anything. If you drink soda or juice, cut it out! Or at least drink equal amounts of water for every oz of soda or juice you consume.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    8 glasses a day is a target number, drink as much water as you can. Don't force it!!!
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I know I never could drink that much when I was working. If it's convenient keep a 24 oz. water bottle or glass near to remind you.
    It's easier for retired people. just leave a 24 oz. class filled with water on the counter to remind you to drink.
    I used to do hard outside physical labor out in the heat and I know I could not have drank that much water , and somehow I survived. Now I wear a camelback and easy drink 90+oz. during a ride.
    You can form a habit of drinking water just like just like we form a habit of eating good.
    Stay with it, good luck.
  • sasharfitness
    sasharfitness Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys. I have a huge qwater bottle that holds all 8 cups and I just pour that into my small water bottle thru out that day. I have been using the water flavorings and I don't drink any sodas or juice just water. It's just hard because I just never drink that much liquid, before I got back on the healthy excerise routine I had maybe 2 glasses of liquid a day (which I know can't be enough).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I drink a 16 oz glass with lunch and dinner, have a big cup of coffee with breakfast, then keep an insulated tumbler around me all of the time to sip on as I desire. I typically hit 9-12 glasses a day like that.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time at first as I don't like water but now I drink 10-16 a day. Just keep working at it
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Stop drinking beverages that have calories, and exercise. Before, during and after my workouts are when I tend to drink the most water. I don't have to make myself, it's just something my body craves, especially during cardio. During yoga or weightlifting, it's a nice excuse for a quick break.

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I have read more than one article that says the whole 8 glasses of water or so many an ounce per pound of body weight is all bunk. One was from the MAYO Clinic but I am not sure where the link is right now that I used to use. This subject comes up often.

As long as your urine is not concentrated yellow and you aren't swollen from retaining water, you are getting enough. In fact it doesn't even need to be water, pretty much any of the stuff we drink works. Also as another poster mentioned, a large portion of the foods we eat are made up of water and our body uses that towards hydration as well.

Yesterday I think I had one glass of water but had two large cups of coffee in the am and several glasses of Crystal Light Fruit Punch in the afternoon and I can assure you, I was hydrated just fine. Oh, I think there was even a 20oz bottle of that evil diet soda as well. Which is made up of primarily water so it counts as hydration as well.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I'd rather drink a bit too much and have my body filter it out then be dehydrated, especially with having a very active training schedule. It took me a bit to get used to downing 8 cups a day....but my body adjusted and it's not as hard anymore. Days I exercise it is usually higher. I made it a fun game by earning "stars" each day I hit that goal. I actually have 5 goals per day I aim for. It seems to be working pretty well.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    get a 32 oz cup fill it up drink it down x2. I just finished 64 oz at 10:30 am. Drink it like its your job. Your body will thank you.
  • amitkatz0
    amitkatz0 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I keep a 20 oz cup on my desk at work. I usually down 100 oz before 4pm. Just get used to small sips throughout the day.
  • HTECHS
    HTECHS Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm on 14 months of only water and counting... What started off as a 30 day challenge has just become a way of life. When water is the only thing you drink, it's easy to get all you need and then some... Not to mention all the calories I save!
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I hate water, but found that drinking it in the form of herbal teas makes it much easier - it still counts I believe as it's about hydration etc :D
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Make note of your skin and your sleep now and then again after sticking with drinking more water. It will encourage you. I personally drink a TON at work because getting up to fill my cup (or pee) is a good excuse to not be stuck behind my desk. At home on the weekends I don't drink nearly as much and I definitely notice that how I feel is different.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I hate water, but found that drinking it in the form of herbal teas makes it much easier - it still counts I believe as it's about hydration etc :D

yup, it counts. The only thing you shouldn't count as water is alcoholic beverages (at least that is what I have been told)

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I really try to hit that 8 a day, but never do. It's not that I don't like water, but for me I just don't feel it's entirely necessary most of the time. I maybe get by with 5 or 6, and that's not counting the tea and fruits and veg I eat.

Obviously it's different when it's 100 degrees outside and I'm working in the yard. Yeah, I'll probably get up to 8 and even 10 on those days. But on your average day, I really go by my thirst and what color my urine is. If it's a very pale light straw color, I'm well hydrated.