If you log cheat days...

Options
Where do you usually fall?

And I'm no newbie...I understand that some people believe in moderation, some people believe in cheat days, some people abhor them, etc.

I'm just curious to see where people fall, and if you log at all on cheat days or just don't pay attention. I'm trying to be more concious so I've decided to log mine for now so I can really see it. I'm hoping that eventually it will make me balance out instead of using cheat days myself.

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I usually take big holidays and my birthday "off" from tracking, but not necessarily logging. By that, I mean that I don't worry about logging anything while I am eating, and don't necessarily worry about calorie count, but sometimes curiosity gets the best of me and I will go back and log everything to see where I ended up.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I log everyhing. Even my cheat days. I make myself accountable for everything that goes into my body. But when I do have my cheat days or meals I don't worry about it. I don't like the idea of not logging because I don't want to get too relaxed with myself and not log it when I eat something crappy. Then what's the point of logging anything in the first place. I say log it and if you go over every once and a while don't trip.
  • chlsyrhd
    chlsyrhd Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't really have designated cheat days, but I do have days where I go way over my calorie goal. In those cases, I log everything. Simply because it's kind of interesting to see where my macros fall.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Log it so you can look at it and chalk it up as a day where you could have made better decisions
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I like to log just to see where I end up. It's not usually as bad as I'd feared.
  • NicolleLindgren
    NicolleLindgren Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like to log just to see where I end up. It's not usually as bad as I'd feared.

^^ This. Sometimes I'm even under and I wonder how it happened!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I purposely have a cheat day every Friday. I log them typically.

I usually end the day with -4500 calories. :P Lately they've been around -1500-2500 though. I even broke even a couple weeks back.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Where do you usually fall?

And I'm no newbie...I understand that some people believe in moderation, some people believe in cheat days, some people abhor them, etc.

I'm just curious to see where people fall, and if you log at all on cheat days or just don't pay attention. I'm trying to be more concious so I've decided to log mine for now so I can really see it. I'm hoping that eventually it will make me balance out instead of using cheat days myself.

I log everything I eat and if I'm eating weigh over and I see it down on my summary especially the sodium I think twice about eating so much...yesterday our work bought us lunch and I had the #9 with chips and that was alot of calories but I didn't stop there I continued to snack and looking at the graph and feeling a bit sick to my stomach made me realize that it's not worth it...I should have had 1/2 a sandwich or picked out a healthier sub. Good luck to you and the one thing to remember is if you had a cheat day or a day where you overeat tomorrow's another day...I'm back on track!
  • dcaiani
    dcaiani Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    So far I've logged everything, but those days when you relax and lower your willpower its a little scarey to see exactly what is going into your body!
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, but I do have days where I plan to eat above my normal goal. I keep my calorie target at my TDEE or just a hair above on those days. It gives me enough extra calories that I can enjoy a meal at a great restaurant or a celebration without really worrying.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Agree with this 100%. When I give myself days off I don't stress out about it and just enjoy it
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I log everything...even holidays. I think it's important to see what we're putting into our bodies...even on days that we're aware are not "normal" eating days. It may even help you to not go quite as crazy at the next holiday or event! It doesn't stop be from having cheat meals/days...I just like to see where I stand with them! :) To each their own.
  • abikinibyjuly
    abikinibyjuly Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I log every bite to the best of my ability. I want to know where I stand, even if it's way over. I got fat because I was not keeping track of what I was putting in my mouth. Not happening again!
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I don't log my cheat days because I eat the most disgusting crap when I indulge. Lol. When I plan on 'cheating', I basically eat the way I did before I started counting calories. Which, what's scary is that now I know that on any given day I was usually eating AT LEAST 3,500 calories with zero exercise. An example of a cheat day for me would be something like making pan fried eggs and bacon with a buttered biscuit for breakfast, an over-sized sandwich with extra salami or pepperoni and lots of fatty cheese and mayonnaise---probably with chips or crackers, and fast food/take out for dinner---like my favorite, General Tso's chicken with pork fried rice and an egg roll. And we all know Chinese food comes in containers about twice the size of what we need. And I'd eat every bite. So anyway, long story short....I just don't log it and put in the notes "cheat day".
  • ddslowly
    ddslowly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    well...i logged yesterday when i consumed a full days worth of calories in gin alone. it's actually helpful to see what i've consumed and what the consequences may end up being. the weight it gave me "in 5 weeks if every day were like today" really made me think. also, some things that i had thought were crazy calorie bombs ended up being pretty healthy and are things i can and will consume more often.
  • sgrubby
    sgrubby Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you are committed to a healthy, sustainable lifestyle, then there's no such thing as cheating. Once you see a certain food as "forbidden", it becomes a "diet" and you feel deprived and want to "cheat". Go ahead and eat pizza, just not the whole pizza in one sitting. Remember, moderation and exercise are key to your success. The most important thing you must learn is how much is a sensible portion. If you eat a balanced diet with a variety of foods, your macros should fall into place.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I log every day whether I splurged or not. I'm weird, but I actually like seeing those off days. It reminds me how far I've come and how I don't ever want to go back to eating like that every day.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I log cheat days just like any other day. When I go over I want to know by how much, so I have some idea of how much I need to compensate in the next several days. Also, going over my budget by 200 cals is different from blowing it by 2000 cals.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I log them for the shear purpose of making myself feel like crap over it...lol
    I'm usually around negative 600-800 which I guess isnt so bad since the deficit is 500 right?
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day, but I do have days where I ended up WAY over. I log it all so I can learn from it. I can look at it and see what items on there I could have changed without really missing them (for example - have a little less cheese and a little more salsa, or skip that second roll) so that next time I indulge I know what it means when I eat it and maybe I won't go so far over.