How wound I count breastfeeding?

Replies

• aliparker1982
    Options
    I want to know this too
  • llanham611
    llanham611 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would like to know too! I just had my second daughter a little over 3 weeks ago and I want to start eating better. Should we just up our calories? All of my research says that we need at least 1800 calories a day to maintain our supply and burn 300-800 calories per day making milk.

I have about 25 lbs to go!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    The given figures for lactation seem to be around 500 - 700 calories per day, with around 100-200 being used from maternal fat stores.

Some reading here...

http://www.madeformums.com/baby/what-to-eat-when-youre-breastfeeding/21417.html

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/why-breastfeed.aspx

Work the numbers in to your net calories and make sure you come out and the end of the day with a reasonable number.
  • karafornia
    karafornia Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, this helps a lot!
  • jmagdalena707
    jmagdalena707 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am EBF my 8 week old and also pump an additional 6-8oz a day for freezer stash. I have MFP set at a 1lb a week loss and log Breastfeeding as exercise( I added it manually to my exercises.)

Right now I eat back 300-400 cals to support my milk supply. Some days I eat more, but I never net less than 1800 cals per day. So far I'm losing consistently and my milk supply has not dropped.

I also eat steel cut oatmeal most mornings and drink 2-3 cups of mothers milk tea each day to support supply.

Congrats on your LO and good luck!

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You can actually find Breastfeeding in the food database.

7fkiiqm5hdbc.jpg

When you add it to your food log, it shows up as negative calories which gives you more calories to eat.
    mvsb0de7la7y.jpg
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When I was EBF I just added 500 calories a day.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I was doing W.W. when I bf my son and made sure to have enough calories, including watching nutrition- the weight absolutely melted off! I had gained 40+ lbs and was very slightly overweight to begin with- ended up back to pre-pregnancy weight in 3 months. Especially as baby gets bigger 3-6 mo, their consumption helps you burn off all that weight! Drink a ton of water, do some casual exercise, eat healthy (and enough) & your body will bounce back! Good luck and enjoy! :)
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I eat an extra 500 calories a day to account for BFing my 3 month old. I use the food database as shown above! Once they start eating solid food you should drop down to 300.