Multivitamins

Options
I used to take One A Day Multivitamins a couple of years ago but after I graduated from college I hear a lot of people say that Multivitamins actually cause cancer and it is better to take each vitamin seperate instead of just one Multivitamin. When I took my vitamins daily while in undergrad I did gain around 10 lbs but ever since I stopped I noticed that I lost those extra lbs.

I'm 5'2 and weight around 90 lbs. my goal is to gain 15-20 lbs. Also, i've never worked out before. Should I start? Any suggestions?

Replies

• MissMary75044
    MissMary75044 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that they cause cancer, but typically you don't end up absorbing a the nutrients and just end up excreting them in urine. Eating a balanced diet is the best thing, MFP can help a lot with tracking your intake of calcium, iron, and vitamins A and C. You can plug into the app and it will tell you how many calories you need a day to gain, as well as break down the ratio of carbs/protein/fat. It's actually pretty helpful. 20 minutes of exercise three times a week is a good place to start. What kind of exercise really depends on what you want to achieve.

There are a few people on here, myself included that drink Ensure Plus. It has 350 calories a bottle and is nutritionally balanced. I snack on things like almonds, greek yogurt, and kefir which have lots of protein and healthy fats.

You may want to check out the nutrition and fitness boards as well.
  • ton8_22
    ton8_22 Posts: 2
    Options
    Orange triad
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Where did you hear about this alleged cancer link? Any source you can link us to?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    smolina0 wrote: »
    I'm 5'2 and weight around 90 lbs. my goal is to gain 15-20 lbs. Also, i've never worked out before. Should I start? Any suggestions?

Short answer YES! What are you interested in is the first question you need to answer. What are your interests and goals for exercise?