Low vitamin D -- any suggestions?

Options

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My Dr. recommends liquid vitamin D drops only, says they are much better absorbed by the body. Edited to add that the last bottle I bought were in Coconut oil, tasted much better than the olive oil drops.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Light sensitivity is more commonly associated with *excessive* levels of D.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I used to have 17 as my Vitamin D levels. I live in a state that has sunshine nearly all year. And I do go outside. Still that didn't give me adequate levels of Vitamin D. I took about 6,000 IU of Vitamin D3 for months before my serum levels rose to about 60. My doctor was happy with that result. One thing I noticed after getting my Vitamin D levels up was I wasn't catching every cold and flu going around.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    maddow wrote: »
    Not everyone can absorb D through food. If you are one of those people, you will need to take supplements or shots. Over time, low D can cause fatigue, impact memory and be serious.

And also depression.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    OP, did your doctor check your thyroid? Sometimes low vitamin D is a result of hypothyroidism

This! My husband got really low vit D (11!!!!) and for the first time in his life got hypothyroid.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    All this information is so helpful - I am especially surprised at the amount people take in order to get an increase. Mknight- I agree that there always seems to be a new hyped up thing to take. But, since I have some issues that possibly could be related to the low D, I am going to try supplementing.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    M Knight - not sure about units. Meritage & milocamolly -- yea I will try to get more sunshine starting tomorrow. Jennifer- doc did recommend supplements. I didn't do it last year. I too am wondering if this contributes to fatigue. For some reason I am anti-vitamin/ supplements but, perhaps I should reconsider.

Definitely reconsider vitamin D. There is no way being deficient is better than supplementing at a safe and effective dose. There are just too many benefits of vitamin D to overlook.

I agree, most supplements are garbage and ineffective. However, there are a couple that everyone should consider taking: vitamin D and Omega 3

Can I add evening primrose oil for lady problems to the list of those that work?
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When I had low vitamin levels I was constantly sick - recurring colds or colds lasting two weeks or more. My GP just brushed it off saying that it was probably because I was a tired young mum back then. Fortunately my endo check my Vit. D. I started supplementing and the change was pretty dramatic - within a couple of months I was back to my old self. My orthopedist suggests taking 1000 IU in summer, 2000 IU in winter.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fat and oils? Your body needs fat and oils to process the fat soluble vitamins like D.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Are you eating enough fat and oils? Your body needs fat and oils to process the fat soluble vitamins like D.

Ooh, good to know! Which fats and oils?
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I live in MN, and was also very low. Dr. said we just don't get enough sunshine up here and recommended supplements. I started taking a calcium with D and my levels have been absolutely normal since :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So I just got lab results back - everything good except my vitamin D level was low at 20. It was low last year too and I didn't do anything about it. Does anyone have any experience with health problems and low D levels. Anyone notice a difference (feel better) after taking supplements?

I supplemented 3000 - 5000 IU a day for 3 months and fixed the lab number. Can't say I noticed a difference. Too far North to rely on the sun (55 deg)
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Ooh, good to know! Which fats and oils?

My fat and oil intake is good. I eat salmon and avocados fairly regularly. Also peanut butter and olive oil.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    my Dr. put me on supplements as I was deficient. I am one of those weird people that has PMLE (polymorphic light eruption) - basically a UV ray allergy. I don't go outside. anyone else here have that?
  • twinkling70
    twinkling70 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I live in WA and it is normal here for people to have low Vitamin D my husband was put on 50,000 once a week I try and take at least 2-4,000 a day and a multivitamin... Hope you feel better. I think it makes me have more energy. :)
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am staying out of the sun like a vampire because I have many moles and 2 were recently found "mildly atypical".
    I am terrified of melanoma but then again, I am also terrified of other cancers that could supposedly be triggered by Vitamin D deficieny - which I got close to a few years ago.

So damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I now take a 2000 I.U. Vit D3 daily but I am not sure where I stand with the Vit. D levels until my next annual which won't be until July.

• shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that:

your weight X 25 = amount of IU Vitamin D3 you should take daily

If you are going to go the supplement route.

I just started taking it, my level was low at 24.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I began vitamin D supplements, I stopped catching colds. So I do think it is related to vitality. As others have mentioned, this is a vitamin that is very hard to get enough with through sunshine. Milk is supplemented with Vitamins A and D (fat soluble vitamins), but again not enough to get your levels back up.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from low vitamin D levels. When I started taking a supplement (recommended by my doctor) the first thing I noticed was that my depression lifted, my energy level shot up and I just felt "happier". I suffer from severe osteoporosis, brought on in part, from the chronic low vitamin D levels. Don't set yourself up for that, because once you have it and start down the road of brittle bones, fractures and chronic pain, it changes your life dramatically. Ask your doctor what he/she recommends and then TAKE IT.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Only supplements have worked for me. Neither D-rich (or enriched) foods nor sunshine worked for me.

When I was first DXd as D deficient, my number was 11. My doctor ordered a second test run in case the first result was a fluke or in error. That test came up at 12.

I live in Southern California, where you can't walk to the mailbox and back without getting a tan. I am outside with my kids all the time and I never remember to put sunscreen on, unfortunately. I tend to just jet out the door without remembering to apply. I have a 52-week-a-year farmer's tan and - don't laugh - I actually have tan lines on my feet from my sandals. My calves are tanned as well, generally, from wearing capris so much of the year because we have four seasons in SoCal: summer, summer, summer, and Thirteen Seconds to Supernova.

For me, if more sunshine is the answer, I'm pretty sure I'll have to move to either Costa Rica or Venus. (However, I'm not saying everybody's body is like mine. OTOH, my doctor said she had other D deficient patients and obviously we all live in the same general area.)

My maintenance D level for an above-25 reading is 4000iu/day (D3). And yes, it is amazing how much better I feel when keeping up with my regimen.