Hypothyroidism and weightloss

Options
ugh ! I'm frustrated

Replies

• ebyla85
    ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Anyone with advice on losing weight with hypothyroidism ?
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Oh boy am I. So far I've lost 8.4 kgs (18.5 lbs). I'm not sure what is causing your hypo, but mine is from Hashimotos. At the moment I'm pretty well medicated so I'm not currently feeling any hypo symptoms unless I miss a dose. That honestly makes a huge difference in weight loss, but even without that balance you can still get there. It's just harder- push through those crappy days. Work with your gp/endo, try to be patient (remember it can take weeks for a new dose to take effect), and if your metabolism seems very sluggish maybe you need to reassess your exercise/diet plan.

Personally, I've also got a lot of odd peaks here and there from bloating or crappy weeks, which can be so frustrating when you look at them. I mean I was X kg last week- why am I almost 2 kg more?! Or the weeks that it's basically a straight line across? ugh! But zoom out- seriously, look at the overall picture and see it's a downhill slope. If those bumps are what is causing your frustration, look at the past 90/180 days if you can instead of the past week or three.
  • ebyla85
    Options
    duckykissy wrote: »
    Oh boy am I. So far I've lost 8.4 kgs (18.5 lbs). I'm not sure what is causing your hypo, but mine is from Hashimotos. At the moment I'm pretty well medicated so I'm not currently feeling any hypo symptoms unless I miss a dose. That honestly makes a huge difference in weight loss, but even without that balance you can still get there. It's just harder- push through those crappy days. Work with your gp/endo, try to be patient (remember it can take weeks for a new dose to take effect), and if your metabolism seems very sluggish maybe you need to reassess your exercise/diet plan.

Personally, I've also got a lot of odd peaks here and there from bloating or crappy weeks, which can be so frustrating when you look at them. I mean I was X kg last week- why am I almost 2 kg more?! Or the weeks that it's basically a straight line across? ugh! But zoom out- seriously, look at the overall picture and see it's a downhill slope. If those bumps are what is causing your frustration, look at the past 90/180 days if you can instead of the past week or three.
    Thanks for that ... I needed it . I've just been newly diagnosed and I'm Not on any meds yet . my doctor says its mild , but ugh i think I need to re-evaluate . I pray it can be reversed .
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hashi's here. I wish I had some advice beyond getting properly medicated, but it really comes down to CICO. However, when properly medicated you should have more energy, so if you plan on incorporating working out into your day, that can help.

Don't wait for medication nor assume you just won't lose weight until you're medicated. I get that I'm only one person, but even before I started medication, I still lost weight if I ate less than I expended. When diagnosed my TSH was just under 8, max range 5 and my TPO was 1850, max range 4.

I began my diet the day after Thanksgiving and am down 29 lbs. so far.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    ebyla85 wrote: »
    Keep up with your dr appointments, get your meds as prescribed, and then it is calories in, calories out.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I've been hypothyroid for just over 10 years now, and weightloss it totally possible. I agree with the previous poster about using a tracking app for weight, because you may have some odd fluctuations due to water retention, etc. That being said, when I'm maintaining a healthy diet and getting a bit of cardio every day, I can lose anywhere from 1-2 lbs per week without too much trouble.

Try to stay in tune with your body. Even if it's not doing what you expect it to, keep track of it and learn your own rhythms. Do you retain a couple pounds of water after weight lifting? Are you lightest in the morning? When are you hungry? What makes you feel best?

Work with your doctor, but listen to your body, and make the time to give it the exercise and good food it needs. It's totally worth it.
  • ebyla85
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Hashi's here. I wish I had some advice beyond getting properly medicated, but it really comes down to CICO. However, when properly medicated you should have more energy, so if you plan on incorporating working out into your day, that can help.

Don't wait for medication nor assume you just won't lose weight until you're medicated. I get that I'm only one person, but even before I started medication, I still lost weight if I ate less than I expended. When diagnosed my TSH was just under 8, max range 5 and my TPO was 1850, max range 4.

I began my diet the day after Thanksgiving and am down 29 lbs. so far.

Thanks!
  • ebyla85
    Options
    I've been hypothyroid for just over 10 years now, and weightloss it totally possible. I agree with the previous poster about using a tracking app for weight, because you may have some odd fluctuations due to water retention, etc. That being said, when I'm maintaining a healthy diet and getting a bit of cardio every day, I can lose anywhere from 1-2 lbs per week without too much trouble.

Try to stay in tune with your body. Even if it's not doing what you expect it to, keep track of it and learn your own rhythms. Do you retain a couple pounds of water after weight lifting? Are you lightest in the morning? When are you hungry? What makes you feel best?

Work with your doctor, but listen to your body, and make the time to give it the exercise and good food it needs. It's totally worth it.

That makes sense ! Thanks
  • ebyla85
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Keep up with your dr appointments, get your meds as prescribed, and then it is calories in, calories out.

Dr says I don't need meds because my hypothyroidism isn't that bad . So i get my levels checked a lot .
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Yup, another hypothyroid Hashimoto's weight-loser. Was diagnosed over 30 years ago! It may take a bit longer (especially if you're not on meds yet) but it's totally possible. :) Has your doctor said he/she wanted to re-evaluate you in a few months?
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    ugh ! I'm frustrated

Get treated. Even untreated hypo will not be a primary factor in your body weight. It just doesn't make that big a difference in the number of calories you burn.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Dr says I don't need meds because my hypothyroidism isn't that bad . So i get my levels checked a lot .

Then it comes down to eating less.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Hashi's patient for 25 years here. Once you're properly medicated, losing weight is no different than anyone else. It's just a matter of monitoring your calories, creating a deficit, and exercising. Totally possible to lose weight.

I have other autoimmune diseases in addition to the Hashi's and have fatigue from one of them, so it's hard for me to tell when the Hashi's is acting up. I keep in pretty good touch with my endo because of it. I also moderate my carbs. It helps me keep my energy levels in check. I don't take them really low... just 150g at the highest. This isn't necessary for everyone with hypo-T, though.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I suffer from hasimotos and it does suck. I have to be very regimented with my meds and my diet to keep the weight off. I don't agree with some of the less informed posters on this discussion who seem to take a "stop complaining it isn't a big deal attitude". The thyroid is quite possibly one of the most important organs in the body. "The thyroid gland produces hormones which regulate the body's metabolic rate as well as heart and digestive function, muscle control, brain development and bone maintenance." Yeah when this doesn't work right you are going to have lots of issues. I agree that close on-going management with your doctor is key. Most doctors are reluctant to start people on meds because that is more of a management strategy and not a "cure". The best advise I can give is to start a diary/journal in addition to logging your foods. This will allow you to make connections to what foods may be causing you trouble. It sounds weird but tracking if you are tired, lethargic or "hangry" (hungry and angry put together) might help you to rid your diet of foods keeping you from your goals. I have managed to lose weight, but I know that due to my condition this will be a lifelong struggle to maintain a healthy weight. Good luck!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    As one of those people who believe it's no big deal, I think any medical condition is what you make of it.

As I stated in my post, I've lived with Hashi's for 25 years. I also live with celiac disease, fibromyalgia/CFS, psoriatic arthritis, and chronic migraines. None of them are big deals. They are just deals. I do what needs to be done to deal with them and go on with my life.

Hypothyroidism is not that big a deal. It's easily treatable. The symptoms are fairly evident. When you feel them spiking, you go to the doctor and get tested and get your medication adjusted and go on with your life. It's an easily managed condition. And I say this as someone who came out of a Hashi's crash last year. So what? It's still no big deal.

This is all especially true when it comes to weight loss. Nothing about properly treated hypothyroidism would prevent a person from losing weight. It might go a little slower for some of us, but meh... it still happens for us.
  • ebyla85
    Options
    Yes... in 6 months he's going to check levels again , and see if anything has changed .
    Yup, another hypothyroid Hashimoto's weight-loser. Was diagnosed over 30 years ago! It may take a bit longer (especially if you're not on meds yet) but it's totally possible. :) Has your doctor said he/she wanted to re-evaluate you in a few months?

• ebyla85
    Options
    Tha
    Zedeff wrote: »

Then it comes down to eating less.

I eat less now but I also breastfeed .
  • ebyla85
    Options
    Hashi's patient for 25 years here. Once you're properly medicated, losing weight is no different than anyone else. It's just a matter of monitoring your calories, creating a deficit, and exercising. Totally possible to lose weight.

I have other autoimmune diseases in addition to the Hashi's and have fatigue from one of them, so it's hard for me to tell when the Hashi's is acting up. I keep in pretty good touch with my endo because of it. I also moderate my carbs. It helps me keep my energy levels in check. I don't take them really low... just 150g at the highest. This isn't necessary for everyone with hypo-T, though.

Im pretty sure it's possible I've lost 32 pounds but now I feel like it's slowing no matter what . I don't log in my cardio or exercise anymore because I think it helps me to be more cautious on my calories . ( lol so I don't eat my hard work ) but hopefully the scale continues to move . Thank you so much
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I have this issue and calorie deficit works for me.
  • ebyla85
    Options
    neaneacc wrote: »
    I suffer from hasimotos and it does suck. I have to be very regimented with my meds and my diet to keep the weight off. I don't agree with some of the less informed posters on this discussion who seem to take a "stop complaining it isn't a big deal attitude". The thyroid is quite possibly one of the most important organs in the body. "The thyroid gland produces hormones which regulate the body's metabolic rate as well as heart and digestive function, muscle control, brain development and bone maintenance." Yeah when this doesn't work right you are going to have lots of issues. I agree that close on-going management with your doctor is key. Most doctors are reluctant to start people on meds because that is more of a management strategy and not a "cure". The best advise I can give is to start a diary/journal in addition to logging your foods. This will allow you to make connections to what foods may be causing you trouble. It sounds weird but tracking if you are tired, lethargic or "hangry" (hungry and angry put together) might help you to rid your diet of foods keeping you from your goals. I have managed to lose weight, but I know that due to my condition this will be a lifelong struggle to maintain a healthy weight. Good luck!
    I agree my weight is always off I'm 176 but in less than a week I jumped up 4 pounds so u think that my hypothyroidism played a part in it , because I've been eating pretty good on my diet .