Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calorie adjustment

Hello, I have a question for long and consistent users of MFP. When we move more, we can eat more, right? Our daily calories change. Does it work? I mean, diets like 1200 kcal or 1500 kcal have strict calorie limit, no matter how active you are. People who follow those MFP guidelines, I mean eat more than initial calorie goal due to their activity, do you still lose weight?

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Most people only eat back 50% of their exercise calories, as many people overestimate their workouts, and MFP tends to overestimate exercise calories. Better to err on the side of caution.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Yes it works

Brilliantly

If you accurately log your intake and don't overestimate your burn

MFP is based on NEAT so exercise is on top

Traditional diets are based on TDEE so exercise is included

They should both end up the same calculation but they come from different directions

I like NEAT because I am encouraged to move more and that is motivational for me
  • artamarta
    artamarta Posts: 11 Member
    Most people only eat back 50% of their exercise calories, as many people overestimate their workouts, and MFP tends to overestimate exercise calories. Better to err on the side of caution.

I used Noom app once, it had pattern like this. This sounds good to me. Thanks!
  • artamarta
    artamarta Posts: 11 Member
    What is NEAT and TDEE? When I see how much more I can eat after a good workout Im encouraged as well ;) Not like OMG Im gonna stuff myself, but I feel calmer even if I eat something more calorie dense.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) = Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) + Thermogenic Effect of food (TEF) + Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (EAT) + Non-exercise activity Thermogenesis (NEAT)

Typically NEAT is misused to represent TDEE - EAT