Does this sound like too much food for maintenance?

Options
margaret235
margaret235 Posts: 6 Member
My weight has finally stabilised after 2 years of an eating disorder ( first year I was way too restrictive and lost a ton of weight, then spent the second year binge eating and gained a ton of weight) So now i'm 18 years old, 5'7 and between 124-127 lbs depending on the day. Because of my various eating disorders i've sort of lost sense of what a normal day of eating is. Yesterday for example I had:

Breakfast: 1 Serving of organic muesli ( around 289 calorie, I don't have a food scale) with about 5 ounces of 1.5% milk

Snack: 5 brazil nuts ( packet said 103 kcal)

Lunch: 1 skinless chicken leg and small amount of breast, with 6 cherry tomatoes.

Snack: 1 banana

Dinner: 2 boiled eggs ( 150 kcal around), marinated artichoke hearts ( 150 kcal) and 1 serving of brown rice with a bit of olive oil (320 kcal around). 1 large carrot stick ( 50 kcal?)

I know I should really own a food scale to know exactly my serving sizes, but does this sound like a fairly normal/healthy day of eating?

**I have swimming lessons for 50 minutes each twice a week, then do cardio at the gym 1-2 times a week.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    That doesn't look like enough for maintenance calories..what have the various tools calculated for your daily allowance for maintenance? And what does the above actually equal in calories?
  • PietroJerome
    PietroJerome Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That doesn't look like enough for maintenance calories.

Agreed. This sounds like way too little. At the very least you probably need somewhere around 1800 Kcal a day, and likely more. Google calorie calculator and do the math.
  • charliebitesback
    charliebitesback Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It sounds like too little in my opinion, especially with all the cardio you do. I try to eat around 1600 myself, with about 6 meals a day.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Have you figured out what your maintenance calorie needs are? How many total calories are you eating? Are you still losing weight, or have you given it enough time to see if you gain or lose? Are you really, really hungry?
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I maintain at 2200 calories a day and even lost a couple pounds on my last weigh in eating that amount.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No that's not enough. Check my diary, I'm the same weight and height (ps fast add calories are usually my protein, I don't trust the MFP counts)

I reckon you should be on at least 2000. I'm on 1750/1800 without exercise (I eat them aaaalll back) and I'm 43. I burn 4-600 calories an hour depending on what im doing.

By the way. Bloody well done for sorting this out. Congratulations. Now please please get a food scale. You'll probably tend to emotionally eat so get used to weighing. I've just got through a horrible comfort eating jag with the help of MFP.