Measuring tape - I don't see a change in the numbers but my weight is going down

Options
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I can see my stomach is flatter and I have lost 11 lbs plus however much water weight I lost at the beginning but my tape measure has only registered one inch loss around my waist, my hips continuously go up and down and my bust hasn't changed yet my bras don't fit properly any more.
How tight should the measuring tape be? even if it feels pretty tight I can fit my thumb under it.
What am I doing wrong? could all of this weight I've lost just be water weight?

Replies

• Jennym93
    Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I tried to edit the title but I can't do that now.
    Any help with this? Can I lose and have my measurements stay the same?
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Mine didn't really move over the last month either, but I lost at least 5lbs. I'm hypothesizing that more body wide changes are taking place and it will just take more time to show up in measurements. Don't get discouraged. Tape should be snug but not to the point it retracts your skin.
  • Paperchains38
    Paperchains38 Posts: 42 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am the same but my clothes are getting baggier so think I am losing weight where I don't measure (rib cage, bottom shoulders and knees). This might be the case for you as well.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    agree with the other replies - make sure you try to measure in the same spot, tape close but not digging/tight, and depending on how much you need to lose, you might be losing it in areas you aren't measuring - have you measured arms/thighs? Regardless, you did mention you lost an inch around the waist, so the scale and measurements are heading in the right direction - don't give up!
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Are those the only places you are measuring? I take quite a few measurements and see that some change a lot quicker than others. Also I bought a new tape measurer that hooks together and retracts so you only need one hand and it is a lot easier to get an accurate measurement with it - it's this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001144ZTG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another thing to make sure you're doing is using a mirror when you measure so you know where the measuring tape is hitting your back in case it is sagging below and giving you a larger number. Just helps with consistency.
  • Jennym93
    Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I measure bust/waist/hips mainly and sometimes arms/thighs but not as often.
    My tape seems to stick to my skin so I sometimes do it over a thin shirt but I don't know if I'm pulling it too tight or if it's just sticking to me so I can't tell if my measurements are accurate.
    Do I go by loose to where I could move the tape round me quite easily but not so loose it could fall down or slight resistance of the tape measure? This might sound really stupid but I'd rather know if I'm measuring wrong
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    You want to have it where it is tight enough that you feel a little resistance but not so tight that you mush your skin in. You just want it to be laying against your skin. Consistency is really the key though
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Measurements drive me crazy. Am I measuring in the exact same spot as last time? Am I pulling as tight as last time, or tighter than last time?? There's lots of room for error.