First day at the gym?

Options
I am meeting a friend at the gym this morning at 6;30 am, it took two alarms to wake me up! I have tried FitPal three other times and have fallen off, only lost five pounds. Today I am willing to do what successful people do ... Any ideas that really helped u get started?

Replies

• mynameisoliverqueen
    mynameisoliverqueen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Best advice is to listen to your body! Most people fail with gym routines at the start as they push too hard without listening to their body. If it hurts, take a rest, drink some water, slow down. Always STRETCH well before and after exercise. You will thank yourself for stretching the following day & lower the risk of injuring yourself.
  • EvieEmDash
    EvieEmDash Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank u, did not stretch before or after, will definitely stretch tomorrow. That is great advice
  • EvieEmDash
    Options
    I have been going to the gym and walking, here I am again awake at 5:30, trying to get motivated. Thank u, been stretching, I am tired a lot and sore, just waiting to start feeling good. I'm in my second week :)
  • josefina_22
    josefina_22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have your workout clothes set out, some people even wear it to bed so they don't waste time in the morning looking for clothes. Have your gym bag set the night before, saves time and this way you don't have an excuse in the morning if you can't find your headphones or something! Make sure to have a rest day! I started going to the gym 6 times a week about a month ago and I go early in the mornings and I feel great now! You can do this!!
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I go right from the gym to work so I make sure I have my lunch for work ready to grab as I go out the door as well as my clothes for work. I have my gym clothes ready to put on too. I can get moving if I've had a cup of coffee and watched the news/weather but I know darn well if I get onto the computer I won't make it to the gym. Know what your triggers are that will keep you from getting in a workout. Are you just doing your own thing or are you doing classes? When I was doing classes I hustled to get to the gym but since I've dropped my classes and strictly been doing weight lifting I find it harder to get to the gym on early. I still get there every day but it's just later in the morning.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    FOAM ROLLER is your friend.

Also go in with a plan, Try Strong lifts 5x5, it is a progressive program all nice and neat.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    muscles are going to ache... but fret not, it gets less severe over time as you teach yourself to enjoy the journey... eventually YOU are not going to be able to talk yourself OUT of going to the gym... you'll wake up before the alarm...routines become habits... so.. create a routine and before you know it... about 2-3 months down the road... you'll be thinking.. "maybe I should go to the gym more often..." there was a time.. If I spent 10 minutes on an elliptical trainer... I thought I was going to die... I was literally that stressed by that much exercise... that was more than 2 years ago... there have been fits and starts... BUT I think I have it now... last month I went 3x/week the whole month...and even decided to make use of the squat rack and weights I bought and almost forgot in my basement...

YOU are going to get this... YOU don't need luck.. you have MFP and you have your own version of Tenacity...
  • EvieEmDash
    Options
    Thanks Raven, I love what u wrote and feel so inspired. I just asked myself today, "How do U get the life U want?" Where I'm not tired all the time, and hiding from pics ... And the answer came ... "U just live it!" So if I want to live an active life, I must be active. Healthy? Then I live healthy. So simple, but so complicated. For today I have my version of tenacity!
  • EvieEmDash
    Options
    FOAM ROLLER is your friend.

Also go in with a plan, Try Strong lifts 5x5, it is a progressive program all nice and neat.

What is a foam roller? Sorry? I will google strong lifts :)))