Really hateful comment

Options
Today I had lunch with a friend, more a coworker, but I always considered a friend.
I told her today that one of the nutritionists I worked with in a weight management program
had asked me earlier this week if I would mind talking to a writer for our local newspaper who wanted
to talk to one of their "success stories". I have been in the program for about 16 weeks and dropped
19 pounds. My goal was to lose 25 - 30. When I told my friend about the email, she said "you haven't lost that
much". Very hurtful thing for her to say and I was just shocked that she would say that.
Just need to get if off my chest and try to let it roll off my back, but I took it so personal.

Replies

• mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Wow what an *kitten*. I'm so sorry. You are doing amazing
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You should learn to tolerate idiots,the world is full of them.great work on weight loss
  • autumnrunning
    Options
    Seriously, you shouldn't be bothered by people who are ignorant and have no idea what you're going through, unless they have personal experience...

Wish you all the best and keep up the healthy awesome progress!!
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    O and I think hateful is abit strong,not nice or mean but hateful ?
  • bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    Options
    I've gotten this a lot (also the opposite where they say you lost so much). Best thing is to just chalk it up to ignorant people who don't understand what you have gone through.

Keep on living on!
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Someone sounds jealous! And with good reason! 19 lbs IS a lot, and you look good!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I would say her coworker was hateful. She was deriding the OP's success despite the facts.
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    ..sounds more like a comment from someone who is very jealous!!!
  • WhyFlowersExist
    WhyFlowersExist Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Today I had lunch with a friend, more a coworker, but I always considered a friend.
    I told her today that one of the nutritionists I worked with in a weight management program
    had asked me earlier this week if I would mind talking to a writer for our local newspaper who wanted
    to talk to one of their "success stories". I have been in the program for about 16 weeks and dropped
    19 pounds. My goal was to lose 25 - 30. When I told my friend about the email, she said "you haven't lost that
    much". Very hurtful thing for her to say and I was just shocked that she would say that.
    Just need to get if off my chest and try to let it roll off my back, but I took it so personal.

Do you know what this is? This is a medical condition called being an asshat, also known as falcon ****er, and douche canoe, they come in many varities, now i wasnt there but im guessing your dealing with the jealous-kus women-menstrationus, you should have offered her some midol and called it a day. Your doing great!

You know the whole "do you want some midol dear your looking a bit bloated.." ;p
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

This. Very misleading topic title for one, and secondly, don't you think you're overreacting a little? It was a little insensitive, but I would hardly call your friend "hateful".

typo
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Maybe she should try losing 19 lbs.
    And....Way to go!!
  • halffull_pgh
    Options
    Eff her. You are doing great.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. She is almost certainly just jealous.
  • WhyFlowersExist
    WhyFlowersExist Posts: 78 Member
    Options

This. Very misleading topic title for one, and secondly, don't you think you're overreacting a little? It was a little insensitive, but I would hardly call your friend "hateful".

typo

Lol this is probably the best response.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    So to play devils advocate and hopeful give a different perspective. I have only lost about 30-35 lbs myself. I totally would never dream of being a success story. It isn't what people want to read about or hear. I personally think success stories are 60-200lbs. Major changes. My weight gain and loss were the result of a car accident and health problems - once I got those matters under control. Things went fairly easily for me. My main success is my ability to go from couch potato to marathoner. It had nothing to do with any program. She may be herself thinking of success stories as huge amounts of weight and major life transformations.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Maybe she meant it as a compliment, and it just came out wrong. Like she was expecting them to pick someone who had been morbidly obese?
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You look great, and 19 pounds is an awesome weight loss!! You should be so proud. Unfortunately, we live in an age when people watch the Biggest Loser and think that's a typical rate of loss (nothing against the Biggest Loser, but it gives many people unrealistic expectations).
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I'm guessing she only meant you didn't weight that much to begin with. I'm sure it was well intentioned. Anyways. Congrats on the 20lbs!
  • cyndilie
    cyndilie Posts: 52
    Options
    this
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

typo

Seems as if today is touchy Friday. May its the weather affecting everyone.