strong curves - just about to start

Options
I bought the strong curves book and cant wait to start! I got some gym membership on Saturday and had a bit of a go trying out the exercises and plan to have my first proper session tomorrow evening. Im very excited! Its just a shame that my quads are still sore and my butt hurts a bit . Im going to see how easy it is for me to stick to the advised foods, as I am generally a prolific snacker.

question - for those of you that started this, did you see much change after the first month?
I would be hoping for a reduction in thigh/butt fat after 1 month if I stuck to the eating plan properly.....

my stats: CW 140lbs
GW 125 lbs of lean muscle
Height 5'5"

Replies

• just_another_day
    just_another_day Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just finished the 12 week strong curves beginner program and really enjoyed it. I did see results after the first month. Overall, I lost about 1.5 inches off of each of my thighs and feel like my butt is much firmer. I was also eating at a calorie deficit, which is necessary to lose weight.

I would suggest taking photos and measurements along with tracking your weight. Keep logging your calories and follow the program and I'm sure you'll see results.

Best of luck!!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Strong curves is fantastic and I had great success with it. However, I was bulking so I actually gained inches in my case.
    Everyone's progress will happen at different rates but even after the first month I saw significant changes. Stick with it and you will love the results.

Good luck!
  • karebear111
    karebear111 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Can you use just dumbbells for Strong Curves? Or do you have to have a barbell/weights?
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Can you use just dumbbells for Strong Curves? Or do you have to have a barbell/weights?

Well.. barbell is ideal for some of the exercises. It also depends on how heavy your dumbbells go you may out-lift them pretty quickly. The beginner program does start off with body weight and dumbbells. There is also a program in there designed for body weight only. He has quite a few modifications at the back too, so I am sure you could make it work !
  • karebear111
    Options
    I have the bowflex ones that go up to 50lbs, so I'm sure I could get by with them for a while. I've been thinking about buying this, but didn't want to do it if I couldn't use the equipment I have now (maybe more equipment purchases in the future??). Thanks for the feedback!
  • sardelsa
    Options
    The first 1-4 weeks you will need a mat, bench, dumbbells. As you progress: a chin-up bar, resistance bands, kettlebells, medicine ball, then eventually in the later weeks a barbell with plates, squat rack, etc. I workout at home and I don't have access to certain machines, but I make it work. Hope that helps!
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I got the book yesterday and did my first workout today! It was tough, although I could tell my glutes weren't firing quite right yet. But they will, oh yes they wil!
  • karebear111
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    The first 1-4 weeks you will need a mat, bench, dumbbells. As you progress: a chin-up bar, resistance bands, kettlebells, medicine ball, then eventually in the later weeks a barbell with plates, squat rack, etc. I workout at home and I don't have access to certain machines, but I make it work. Hope that helps!

It does!!! Thank you!! I ordered the book today. I can make do with what I have to start and build up my equipment as I move forward.
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did notice a difference after 4 weeks around the waist.
    It took me a while to build a mind-muscle connection with my glutes. You'll figure it out! Good luck!
    I liked the programm so much I stayed in week 5-9 for 8 weeks and same for the last 4 weeks. Started with the advanced one though.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    kikichewie wrote: »
    I got the book yesterday and did my first workout today! It was tough, although I could tell my glutes weren't firing quite right yet. But they will, oh yes they wil!

any joy with that glute burn?! I started on the advanced programme and am swapping box squats for standard barbell due to knee discomfort with box squats, but have real trouble feeling it in my butt and hanstrings yet. I guess I need to keep focusing and perhaps readjusting my form somewhat! am loving it though!