Still hungry in morning

I eat breakfast every morning, usually old fashioned oatmeal with goat milk, a dried fruit such as raisins or blueberries, stevia and cinnamon. So I have protein and fiber as recommended to "feel satisfied" longer. But I don't! 2 hours later I'm trolling the kitchen for something else! Recommendations? (Feel the same with eggs for breakfast.)

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Can you balance out the fiber, carbs, and proteins in morning? The bkft that you described has practically no protein, but you said that you feel same with eggs, which is weird. Try being more balanced with fats, carbs, fiber, and proteins to see if this will help you stay fuller longer.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    I have the same problem. Once I start eating in the morning, I'm pretty much always looking for the next thing to eat.

I found that skipping breakfast and doing a 14:10 intermittent fasting protocol works really well for me. I just let myself feel hungry in the morning, then have a big satisfying lunch that holds me over until supper. It's not for everyone, but it works great for me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2015
    I would try adding more calories to breakfast. Maybe a yogurt or cottage cheese--I wouldn't go for fat free, as the fat will help you feel more satisfied too. Low fat or full fat, depending on how many calories you'd like to add, would be good.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    I put 1/8-1/4 of a cup of vanilla greek yogurt and some peanut butter in to my oatmeal and it makes it so so so much more filling for me with the added protein.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 556 Member
    I actually have started splitting my breakfast calories in to two small meals because I have the same issue. Now I have a small bowl of cereal right when I wake up and have greek yogurt 2 hours afterwards. That's the only way I've been able to do it. If I completely skip eating when I wake up I get really hungry after lunchtime and it doesn't go away so I have to have that cereal.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Have you tried increasing the percentage of fat and protein in the oatmeal? Oatmeal is one of the "devil foods" for my blood sugar, and the only way that I can get myself to not spike above 200 is to add fat and protein to the meal (a tablespoon of peanut butter, a half ounce of walnuts, and 150g of plain Greek yogurt to the oatmeal). It really bumps up the calories, but it's pretty filling once more fat is added.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited March 2015
    Eat more and/or more protein, less (minimal) carbs. I eat high protein and fat, minimal carbs, for satiety in the morning. Carbs before workouts and later in the day.

Like, your breakfast can't be more than ~200 calories. That's nothing. Carbs far outweighing the minimal protein and fat.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    How much protein is that? I have found I need at least 20-30 grams of protein in a meal to hold me over for 4-5 hours. I have also found my hungry time is between 8am-5pm so I eat most of my calories in that period. If I am hungry all day I make poor choices at night. So, if you are hungry, I would eat more at breakfast.
  • HisPixie
    HisPixie Posts: 55 Member
    My morning breakfast around 350 calories (whole goat milk) and 11 grams of protein. Both numbers seem adequate to me. I could add peanut butter (yum) but that really spikes up the calories. I'm already hesitant on spending 350 calories on a breakfast, especially when I'm still hungry!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    HisPixie wrote: »
    I eat breakfast every morning, usually old fashioned oatmeal with goat milk, a dried fruit such as raisins or blueberries, stevia and cinnamon. So I have protein and fiber as recommended to "feel satisfied" longer. But I don't! 2 hours later I'm trolling the kitchen for something else! Recommendations? (Feel the same with eggs for breakfast.)

Try it without the cinnamon.
    Cinnamon is an excellent glucose disposal agent.
    You may be hungry because your body is experiencing a drop in blood sugar.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    How many calories are you eating each day?
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    My rule about "looking for food" is that if it isn't a meal or snack time, if my stomach isn't growling, I'm not hungry, I just "want to eat". Like, right now. I'm already thinking about lunch but I know it's not because I'm hungry, it's because I'm bored with what I'm working on and want an excuse to do something else.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    HisPixie wrote: »
    My morning breakfast around 350 calories (whole goat milk) and 11 grams of protein. Both numbers seem adequate to me. I could add peanut butter (yum) but that really spikes up the calories. I'm already hesitant on spending 350 calories on a breakfast, especially when I'm still hungry!

11g of protein is nothing. I eat at least 30g for breakfast, ideally 40g or more.

And yes, PB increases calories... which is not a bad thing? It also increases fat and a bit of protein, thus the combo of more calories and more fat/protein = more full. 350 calories is also pretty minimal for breakfast, I generally need at least 450 calories or more.
  • HisPixie
    HisPixie Posts: 55 Member
    I strive to keep max calories around 1400. Post-menopausal @ age 56 so my metabolism ain't what it used to be.