Smoothies - Am I doing them right?

Options
2»

Replies

• SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips/tricks for filtering out the seeds from fresh fruit from their smoothies? I love blackberries with kiwi, but the little seeds are so annoying! I may resort to picking them out before adding the fruit.

This morning's smoothie:
    1 cup Non-fat Greek Yogurt
    75 g blackberries
    80 g kiwi
    50 g banana
    4 oz Almond Milk

for 274 calories, 26 g of protein and 25 g of sugar (I eat most of my carbs at breakfast and over 125 g of protein a day)

The only way I've found is to pulverize into oblivion with a high-power blender. I have a ninja, which works well enough, but it doesn't get those seeds either! Try blending for longer?
    I know from experience that the vita-mix blender (read: holy grail of blenders) grinds the seeds into nothing. Why don't I own one, you ask? Expensive.

Yep, I have a vitamix and it gets rid of all the pesky seeds. Very expensive, I got mine from QVC on easy pays otherwise I'd have never been able to afford it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie everyday for lunch, I'm totally addicted and look forward to it everyday. My diary is open, too many ingredients to list here! It does come in at 700-800 calories, but it keeps me full till dinner and is so delicious! !
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    The only comment I would add is that you might want to consider adding more protein as it'll keep you feeling full. Whey protein powders are an awesome easy cheap way to do that. As others have said, weigh and log them and make sure they fit within your calorie allowance and macros and there's really no wrong way to do a smoothie as long as you like the taste