Will I gain muscle even If I don't consume protein after lifting weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Muscle growth comes from applying a stimulus (resistance training) and recovery (resting the muscle so it can rebuild). The general belief of maximizing muscle growth is to take in protein and carbs during a “window” of time after you lift. That said, your body is going to be working on rebuilding muscle for 24 - 72 hours after a lifting session. So, any and all protein you’ve eaten before and for the next day or two after a good session will be there for the rebuild.

It takes the body a while to digest protein, so I’ve always been skeptical of the protein window so I don’t really buy into the pre-workout or post-workout drinks. Feels like a marketing scheme to me.

Its not a marketing scheme--Pure whey isolates get absorbed very quickly into the bloodstream and BCAA's go DIRECTLY into the bloodstream,bypassing the stomach.

The only way to get something directly into the blood stream is to inject it. If you eat it, it is traveling through the stomach. Sounds like you fell for their marketing after all.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    Muscle growth comes from applying a stimulus (resistance training) and recovery (resting the muscle so it can rebuild). The general belief of maximizing muscle growth is to take in protein and carbs during a “window” of time after you lift. That said, your body is going to be working on rebuilding muscle for 24 - 72 hours after a lifting session. So, any and all protein you’ve eaten before and for the next day or two after a good session will be there for the rebuild.

It takes the body a while to digest protein, so I’ve always been skeptical of the protein window so I don’t really buy into the pre-workout or post-workout drinks. Feels like a marketing scheme to me.

Its not a marketing scheme--Pure whey isolates get absorbed very quickly into the bloodstream and BCAA's go DIRECTLY into the bloodstream,bypassing the stomach.
    Well almost. It is a marketing scheme because there's purity issues. The amount purported by the label is likely NOT what you're getting in grams because supplements are DSHEA protected from FDA regulation. That means just about any company can put fillers in (to save money and make more profit) in place of actual ingredients. Unless there's an overlooking of what's actually the ingredient ratios in products, it's just an assumption. Also, practically all products are only packaged by a handful of manufacturers and their intent is to profit, so lots of raw material is obtained from places like China which have no regulations on purity. This is why there are issues of contamination with many supplements.
    But the average buyer doesn't realize this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

I'm with you on this one. I've been training and competing for years. I only really paid attention to that when I first started. In the past 5 plus years I rarely pay attention to pre/post workout nutrition and yet I get stronger.

I think if you are elite and the top of your sport, that type of micro management would likely yield results. For the vast majority of us, I think the impact is marginal. However, if you feel a difference/improvement then, keep doing what works.