Go on, laugh

Options
It's easy to laugh at us I guess, as we run past. I feel the cold really badly, so sometimes I am jogging in a ski jacket and sheepskin gloves, even though we are in the UK on a Sunday afternoon. And my boy, my beautiful boy, how easy to laugh at him with his flapping arms, and the strange words that are coming out of his mouth, that someone who looks like a teenager is ask for hugs everytime we finish a run section.

Go ahead, laugh. You see, we are in our own world when we run, which is generally a much better place to be so your laughter doesn't bother us. And my heart is so full of love, amazement and pride that your words cant hurt me. You see, what you don't know is that 4 years ago I would never imagined we would be doing this. I was 5 stone heavier and wouldn't have dreamt of running anywhere (especially where people could see), but now I love to exercise, and who cares if I don't have fancy gear or the best style. And my boy, he has autism and learning delay, he is overweight and doesn't understand team games. I was so proud the first day he asked to jog with me the 3 miles back from his swimming lesson, and we have done it every Sunday since (except Christmas). He always wants to, even in snow, sleet, rain - and how can I refuse that. So I layer up, and off we go.

So, laugh away. I can't take away the love and pride in my heart, and that special time I have with boy. We don't often talk (at least not about real things - mainly he riffs on Willy Wonka!), but just sometimes, he lets me into his private world, and I think he walks for a moment in mine like this week, when he sped up and ran past me, and straight on past our next stopping point because he was 'racing', not just having 'a healthy jog'.

My daughter wants to come with us too, but she's only 2, but hopefully one day she will too.

Replies

• cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I laugh because I want to join in on your infectious joy.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    That sounds like pure joy in motion. <3
  • mustardyellowshirt
    mustardyellowshirt Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Good on you. You sound like a loving and passionate mother and person. Others peoples laughter is a reflection of their character (or lack thereof) and not yours. Keep racing with your boy. <3
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thank you all.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! I hope nobody does laugh at you. I would cheer you both on if I saw you 'racing'!
  • samthepanda
    Options
    Some people laugh, but many are encouraging - lots of more serious runners give us a friendly smile or thumbs up. Many people are just a bit bemused! But we are happy. We did the Santa run in December. So proud of him as he struggles with people dressed up and it was freezing.
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I did the Santa run too. Keep having fun together.
  • waldo11690
    waldo11690 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Good on you. You sound like a loving and passionate mother and person. Others peoples laughter is a reflection of their character (or lack thereof) and not yours. Keep racing with your boy. <3

• bettybing1
    bettybing1 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes! I've learnt not to care what people MIGHT think when I'm out running, because guess what? I got up early to to go and do it and I'm proud because I'm actually trying. And when I see people out jogging, especially if it looks like they're struggling, I say to myself "bloody well done you. You've got this". And you two sound like the best running partners. :)
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sometimes-you-will-never-know-the-value-of-a-moment-until-it-becomes-a-memory.Dr_.Seuss-quotes_zpsywcrpsht.jpg

I am fortunate that my 2 youngest step kids decided that they want to play softball. One is 9 and the other 10. They have never played organized sports before. I will remember this post when i begin to get frustrated with coaching them. Have a blessed day.
  • hollyberry6182
    hollyberry6182 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    This is a lovely story and gives me hope. My son is also autistic.I've lost nearly 3st and still can't run but maybe, just maybe, i will be able to do it one day. I take my son climbing and that is great to see him climb the rocks so easily, signaling to me to sit down so his rope lifts up so he can do the overhang. One day when he is bigger, I'm hoping he can belay so i can signal to him to sit down so i can do the overhang.
    Thank you for sharing. X
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I won't laugh. But I will cry! Lovely story. Thank you and your son for making my day.
  • curryspicegirl
    curryspicegirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What kind of *kitten* would laugh at you guys? You sound awesome and inspiring!
  • samthepanda
    Options
    This is a lovely story and gives me hope. My son is also autistic.I've lost nearly 3st and still can't run but maybe, just maybe, i will be able to do it one day. I take my son climbing and that is great to see him climb the rocks so easily, signaling to me to sit down so his rope lifts up so he can do the overhang. One day when he is bigger, I'm hoping he can belay so i can signal to him to sit down so i can do the overhang.
    Thank you for sharing. X

You will, one day. How fantastic that you go climbing together. In those moments when I feel too tired to work out, or am tempted to eat rubbish, I think about him saying 'come on mum, I'll race you'.

Thank you all for those lovely comments. Harvo, love the Dr Seuss quote. Yes, those good memories help with the times when it's really hard, and boy can it be hard at times!
  • Wreathy
    Wreathy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That was just lovely to read. Thanks for that.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I laughed so much a tear came down my cheek. My son always had coordination problems and "flapped" when he ran. In high school, he joined track and cross country and finally with some excellent and patient coaching learned to run with proper form. He is now teaching me to run and correcting my form the way his coaches helped him. We must be a funny sight also. :D
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! Beautiful story. :)
  • indunna
    indunna Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Not that it matters what anyone thinks, but guarantee you that at least 90% of the people who see you think you are both awesome. A big high five to both of you from across the Atlantic!
  • samthepanda
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I laughed so much a tear came down my cheek. My son always had coordination problems and "flapped" when he ran. In high school, he joined track and cross country and finally with some excellent and patient coaching learned to run with proper form. He is now teaching me to run and correcting my form the way his coaches helped him. We must be a funny sight also. :D

That's lovely that he wants to teach you.

Today he wanted to run back from his playscheme but it wasn't going to work as I needed to drop daughter off somewhere else on the way, and to go somewhere as soon as I dropped him, so we drove half way, and ran the rest of the way there, and some of the way back (about a mile each way). He was happy.

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »

That's lovely that he wants to teach you.

Today he wanted to run back from his playscheme but it wasn't going to work as I needed to drop daughter off somewhere else on the way, and to go somewhere as soon as I dropped him, so we drove half way, and ran the rest of the way there, and some of the way back (about a mile each way). He was happy.
    Keep up the running. It brought my son tons of self esteem and really changed how others looked at him. As a senior in high school he was made the captain of the cross country team not because he was the best or fastest runner but because he had the most heart and loved the sport and the coach saw that. When he was younger I never imagined him being good at a sport and definitely not as captain of a team. Best wishes to you and your son.