How often do you weigh in?

Options

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I go on clothes fit, I have a belt that I know I once got down to the last notch on comfortably and that is my goal. I wear it during the working week so that's my feedback.

I last weighed in July 2012 and I will do it again when I hit goal for curiosity more than the number.

I guess this means I have to be honest with how my trousers are fitting but it suits (ha!) me better than stepping on a scale, which drove me mad once.
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Almost everyday but only log the weight once a week even if I gained on that day...Unless I know I won't have access to a scale then the log will be earlier or later than a week.
  • NanaMAT3
    NanaMAT3 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone !! Is good to know that I am not the only one who does this -- and I think it does keep me on track!!!
  • NanaMAT3
    NanaMAT3 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ok. I'm so glad I'm not alone. Here I was feeling guilty for weighing everyday.

I just broke myself from the habit of weight 3-4 times a day 2 weeks ago. THAT helps me quite a bit.

You are welcome !!! I was glad to see that I wasn't the only one as well :flowerforyou:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself several times a week under more or less the same conditions. I'd weigh myself every day if I remembered and had time. There's nothing wrong with daily weigh-ins.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    i weigh in daily...twice daily actually. Once in the morning right when i get up and once right before bed. i do it twice for my excel sheet which really lets me know what's going right and where went wrong. my friday morning weighins are the ones i put into mfp.

I also log my weight on an excel sheet. I weigh myself every morning when I wake up, after using the restroom. It keeps me in check better, plus seeing fluctuations don't bother me at all. I actually enjoy seeing the linear trend of my weight-loss. It's like a fun roller coaster ride. Haha. But I do agree that it is not for everyone. Some people don't like to see fluctuations, so they do better weighing in at most, once a week. But if it's not bothering you at all, I don't see how or why it would be a problem.
  • dcaiani
    dcaiani Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Twice a week. I don't want to see any day to day fluctuations, but I want to know what I'm doing is working.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Body weight can be pretty unreliable. when it comes to measuring body composition.

The goal is to lose fat, but when it comes to weight it is far more trickier than that when you consider water retention. Do a low carb diet and you can lose a few pounds in a few days, but it's just water weight. Eat a big meal the night before and your weight will spike up the next day; water again. Have you bladder or bowels full, or eat or drink something and your weight will be higher. Fast for four hours in the morning without drinking or eating anything and your weight will be lower than the first time you wake up.

I weigh myself everyday first thing in the morning our of curiosity mostly, but have an official weigh in once a week ( a number I write down). When i do a weekly weigh in, I weigh myself under the same conditions (same amount of clothes, bladder empty and do not do a cheat day before my weigh in day) at the same time (first thing in the morning on empty stomach) to eliminate some of the variables that will falsely make my weight go up or down via water retention and weight of food and liquid.
  • KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    I weigh in weekly, second thing in the morning. This frequency keeps me sane and leaves ample space for other things to be obsessed over :)

Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy weighing no more than twice a month, but I do understand your urge because in the past, I have fallen into the pattern of stepping on the scale multiple times a day. I stopped because it's demotivating, never consistently provided the immediate gratification I sought, and I never even dropped 10 lbs when I spent my days riding the scale.

If you want to stop, lessen the temptation by placing it somewhere inconvenient after you weigh. At a minimum, you'll burn a few extra calories retrieving it every day..
  • MrsDouglas2U
    MrsDouglas2U Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after using the restroom before i consume and food or liquids, i take a shower and then weigh again LOL
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Every two weeks - after bathroom break but before eating that day.
  • trentwiggly
    trentwiggly Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    every morning
  • cindyb1984
    cindyb1984 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it daily, but recently I had a reading that I had gained 5lbs. Now I know that I can't gain 5lbs in a day and that it's just water weight but that really frustrated me. So I have decided that I will weigh in less often. I think I won't do it again until July 1st and see how that works for me.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale and log it every day. When it's down, I love it. Makes me happy, helps me to take note of what I did right the day before. When it goes up, it motivates me, challenges me, helps me to reevaluate what I did the day before. It usually makes sense as to why it went up or down.

Me too!! I step on the scale in the morning and before I go to bed.

If it goes up, I figure out where maybe I went wrong (maybe too many carbs, or I've had rice). It doesn't really discourage me much, I'll just work harder the next day :)
  • alexisjfrank
    Options
    I weigh every day and then take an average so that I end up with a weekly weight. Gives me a better idea of my losses throughout the month.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day after my morning workout, but I only log it on Tuesdays (my official weigh in day)
  • Agi0817
    Agi0817 Posts: 19
    Options
    I step on the scale every night and I read its not bad to do it daily. Sometimes when I did good the day before I also weight myself in the morning to see a 'low' number and then I'm happy lol.
    I also try to wear nothing so I don't stand there wondering how much my clothes weight :)
  • paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm one that steps on my scale every morning. I've read no, only once a week, the same day each week, at the same time wearing the same clothes, or no clothes. My weight fluctuates a couple pounds every couple of days. How do I break the habit of weighing myself every morning, when my mind has to be conscious of what I eat and making sure to exercise since I have a very sedentary job??? UGH :angry:

Why bother "breaking habit"? Just do what you do and do not worry about it

I weigh daily, for much the same reasons as you. It suits some of us, others it does not, bit like food / diet, do what suits you and not some idealistic goal

I totally agree. I weigh everyday and that helps me keep on track as well. Why fix it if it's not broken???
  • horseswinelife
    horseswinelife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ok. I'm so glad I'm not alone. Here I was feeling guilty for weighing everyday.

I just broke myself from the habit of weight 3-4 times a day 2 weeks ago. THAT helps me quite a bit.

I am trying to break the habit of 3-4 times a day!!!
  • aliciaaw
    aliciaaw Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I weight every morning and every night , but only log in on my weight in days Thursday morning