Homemade Kale Chips!

Options
I simply cannot get enough of these crunchy, healthy yum yums!

I use Italian kale, since it bakes better, and all I put on is a bit of olive oil and a dash of salt!

Anyone else have this crazy kale addition like me?

hehehehehehehehehehehe

Replies

• zapslr
    zapslr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    how do you make them & store them to keep them crunchy?
  • La_Malfaisante_
    La_Malfaisante_ Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I love kale
  • RBillard
    RBillard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i love Kale chips too, we toss them in avocado oil, with a dash of sea salt and black pepper and then bake them on two cookie sheets. it's probably as close as i'll ever get to the crunch of potato chips again, haha. no idea how they can be preserved, I've seen bags of them at the local Bulk Barn, but at $5 per small bag, I wasn't about to try them.
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great thread, it just reminded me I have some kale in the fridge that needs chipping.

I like to sprinkle a bit of chilli powder and paprika on mine for the flavour kick.
  • zapslr
    zapslr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    how long do you guys bake for, at what temp? and how do you store them so they stay crunchy and not get soft?
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    We mist them w/grapeseed oil, salt, and a little parmesan cheese at the end! I usually bake them hot and fast, but I read an article about lower and slower so may try that next time.
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I cook them at around 280 for 15-20 minutes then mix them around a bit/turn the pan and give them another 10-20 minutes after that. I check them a couple of times and take them out once they've all gotten nice and crispy.

I have no idea how to store them though, they're usually all eaten within a few hours.
  • MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Am I doing it wrong? Mine were like fish food. Flaky, not chips.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    thanks for the reminder! and kale is so cheap, too. :smile:
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I ❤ Kale
    I am making kale for dinner tonight actually to go with my fish.
    I have never made kale chips, although I should! I buy them every time I go to Trader Joes, so I am sure making them is a hell of a lot cheaper :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    kale might be one of the grossest things i've ever eaten.

I am seriously questioning all of y'alls taste buds at the moment LOLOLOLOL
  • khristiana
    khristiana Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I primarily use the Italian kale, since it crisps up correctly. I'm still new to making my own, so I don't know about other kinds, really. All I know is at 275 for 18 minutes, they come out crispy and ready to eat!

As far as storage goes, I put them in sandwich baggies and bring them to work for a few days (if they last that long!).

:blush: